DOPS with a Bound Character +BVH Tutorial

6943   6   2
24 posts
Hello, first off, I'm still learning this stuff and am enjoying the ride. Secondly, many of you probably remember that awesome Gatorade commercial with the DOPS applied to various athletes. As a personal challenge, I thought I'd try to at least mimic the breakup of a running character. Here's my first attempt:

runFallTest [alloypictures.com]

I used Motionbuilder and exported a .bvh file and applied it to my skeleton.
My question is, how can I turn off the influence bones after the DOPS simulation starts? Thanks, and if this doesn't make sense, ask away!
Edited by - Feb. 20, 2006 20:06:56
7025 posts
Hey,
I don't have an immediate answer for you directly, but a question What settings did you use to export the motion from Motionbuilder, and what settings did you use to import in into Houdini with “mcbiovision”? I'm having a lot of problems with this right now myself )

Cheer,s

Pete B
7025 posts
Thinking further, I think you need to switch to the shattering skeleton just as it's falling.

Personally, the easiest thing I can think of is to just run the DOPs simulation (inheriting the original's velocity) from the guy falling then use a Switch SOP (or even do it post-render in the comp) to switch between IK guy and DOPs guy.

Perhaps not as procedural as it could be but I'm a fan of simple )

Cheer,s

Peter b
344 posts
I think the way they did it for the commercial was to cook out the geometry of the girl running and fallling, and then they set up several time specific breaks based on when the various parts of her were hitting the ground. I'm sure someone from DD will be along in the next couple of days to elaborate.

Great first effort, though.
Edited by - Feb. 19, 2006 13:47:47
344 posts
Some info from Jason here:

http://odforce.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=2720&hl=gatorade [odforce.net]
24 posts
pbowmar, i made a quick and really rough tutorial on how i used the bvh files from motionbuilder and converted them for use in Houdini. Feel free to tear it apart, I'm sure my way isn't the best way…but it worked for me.

BVH Tutorial [alloypictures.com]

Thanks for that link Michael, I'm going to try and glean some info from it and hopefully create a better sim.
129 posts
Hey cornbreadandham thank you for the tutorial. I have not tried it yet but I downloaded the files and the tutorial to my HD and will give it a try as soon as I get some time over.
  • Quick Links