The most expensive software !!!

34102   35   10
175 posts
Oh come on, 17k is not much, 3ds max costs many times more after adding all the plugins and stuff, and still you're going to be pissed with the logo

More modules would certainly be good, but I like sidefx for it doesn't look for cgtalk thread records just do their work.
4262 posts
peliosis
Oh come on, 17k is not much, 3ds max costs many times more after adding all the plugins and stuff, and still you're going to be pissed with the logo

Although I try to avoid software bashing and the like…that is the funniest thing I've read all week.

if(coffees<2,round(float),float)
10 posts
i understand majnoo, feeling kinda lost with the amount of training material available compared with other packages.
that is to be due to the relatively small user community.

it´s not a question of price, imo the entry level $1299 are no way overpriced.
there are some reason why houdini isn`t used as often as maya, 3dsmax or others, especially in smaller companies:

- there are no premade effects(like drag and drop some fluids into your viewer and render)
i´m grateful for that, cause it´s a pain trying to tweak something for hours just to find out that it´ll never look the way you want it.

- smaller companies are often afraid not to find freelancers when they need em.
so they rather stick to the software they used the past years and know there are plenty people they can hire.

- sidefx has less worldwide resellers and a less agressive marketing strategy.
the only regular public occurrences is Craig Zerouni´s Letter from Hollywood in the 3dworldmag

halo is another story,as it has a smaller feature set as other standalone compositing packages.
7025 posts
Well, I can't speak for SESI, however I do know that they are extremely flexible with payments, especially when it's a smaller shop or an independant. I'm sure you could talk to them about some sort of payment scheme. That's what is nice about SESI, you can actually talk to them and work something out.

Cheers,

Peter B

digitallysane
As I said before, let's consider that the 17K price it's OK. So it's not about the price anymore. It's about modularity. It's 17K which I don't / can't pay at once, because I might not even need all the features in the beginning. So Escape 2K, Master 17K. How do I make such a big jump?

Dragos
16 posts
hi,

Just as side question, Is there such a thing as a Houdini Student license/price? I'm not even sure what the differences between a Learning/Trial/Demo version and a Student one would be but came across some prices differences in other packages so i was wondering if these also exist with Houdini products and how are they different from a trial version.

Cheers
4262 posts
The Apprentice Edition is the Student version, AFAIK. Its the same as the “professional” package the only difference is there is a restriction on output resolution
if(coffees<2,round(float),float)
7025 posts
Generally, the “student” version is Apprentice. The only things you're missing are Renderman support and there is a restricted resolution. Speak to your school's Houdini teachers, they may have a deal with Side Effects to allow students access to the full version at home.

Cheers,

Peter B
225 posts
Lage raho majnoo dada, Houdini baaki sab ki waat lagati hai.

I'm sure you'll find out in due course yourself
175 posts
Wolfwood
peliosis

Although I try to avoid software bashing and the like…that is the funniest thing I've read all week.

Software bashing? never!!!

Thanks Wolfwood!
1 posts
I once said: “Wow this glass of beer is expensive”! A guy turned around and said: “The beer isn't expensive,….. you just don't make enough money”. Isn't that what this is about?
www.art-werx.com
30 posts
strayDog
hi,

Just as side question, Is there such a thing as a Houdini Student license/price? I'm not even sure what the differences between a Learning/Trial/Demo version and a Student….. different from a trial version.

Cheers

Too True Man Too True…

509 posts
The most expensive software?… not anymore guys.. not anymore.

look at Softimage website.. and you'll find out by yourself..

geez.. I'm so happy now to have something to say to who tells me Houdini is the most expensive software… sorry for going OT.. and for maybe talking about something said already.

Cheers.
JcN
VisualCortexLab Ltd :: www.visualcortexlab.com
21 posts
What is needed is what I proposed in the other forum I started a few weeks ago. Here is what I posted:

This is my idea.

Add POPs, DOPs and CHOPS to Escape in a node locked version and call it PILOT.

Then pitch the price at $3999

• Houdini Select $1299 USD
• Houdini Escape $1999 USD
• Houdini Pilot $3999 USD
• Houdini Halo $2999 USD
• Houdini Master $17000 USD

Having just looked at this, I can see what a bargin Master is at $17000. If you where to add up my idea of Houdini Pilot' to Halo and then times that by ten seats in your studio enviroment $17K is a lot cheaper than $70K.

Hope this is a constructive idea to anyone of you guys at Sidefx, if you just so happen to be browsiing this forum.

Any other ideas anyone? Please to hear more feed back. Hope I'm not being silly.

Slave1
175 posts
sum][one
The most expensive software?… not anymore guys.. not anymore.

look at Softimage website.. and you'll find out by yourself..

geez.. I'm so happy now to have something to say to who tells me Houdini is the most expensive software… sorry for going OT.. and for maybe talking about something said already.

Cheers.

It's just a marketing trick.
The software is not there yet, they want the 95k message to widespread and make people talk about it, then, after release, they'll cut the price to 1/10th to make people say `huh…only 10k` and still they are at the top
Sorry, I can't see what's SO special about a bunch of face rigs. Are the promo vids that impressive?
21 posts
NO!

Not as good as Gollum from Lord of the rings which used Maya's morph targets system.

I've seen the video's.

It appears that all it is - is like in Silo modeler; Soft selecting conected to tracking points, from tracked data.

In Houdini could you attach a null to a CV which when translated affects with fall off the surrounding CVs? Using imported tracking data from someones face you could do the same as Face Robot - yeah?

Slave1
30 posts
tallkien
Lage raho majnoo dada, Houdini baaki sab ki waat lagati hai.

I'm sure you'll find out in due course yourself

ha ha ha!!!!!!! sahi kaha yaar lage raho lage raho ….. ha ha ha

sahi kaha houdini sub ki waat lagata hai laikin ager use kerna ayey to na

• Quick Links