Cinematic VR sound design

1393   2   1
4 posts
Hi,

I am a sound designer and use Houdini indie as a hobbyist. We (we are three sound designers) have been doing some ambisonics/binaural mixes for cinematic VR recently in Pro Tools (We also use Reaper). There are quite a few plugins around to do these kind of mixes (with varying amount of features) but they are all aimed at placing audio sources by hand. For projects made in Houdini (or any other 3D package) it would make much more sense to be able to export coordinates (relative to the camera) and then attach them to the audio sources (similar to sound design in Unity or Unreal)to get correct panning and distance (as well as speed information for plugins supporting the doppler effect).
It would also help a lot to have a 3d viewport in the DAW but most developers seem to think that everything has to be visualized in either a top or a side view.
I have been in contact with one of the plug in programmers and he is interested in getting feedback and suggestions from users to develop the ambisonics workflow in Reaper.
If there is anyone who thinks this might be a good idea/dooable/fun project please let me know :-)
Also, if anyone need help or want to experiment with cinematic VR sound design I am willing to help.

Cheers,
Mats Blomberg
Staff
3455 posts
sounds cool.
if you haven't already, check out the Spacial Audio CHOP
http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini/nodes/chop/spatial.html [www.sidefx.com]
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
4 posts
Thanks Michael,

had a quick look and it seems like that node contains all the positioning info I was asking for.
I will do some tests and see if I can get the coordinates into the DAW.

Cheers,
Mats
  • Quick Links