Euphoria like character physics simulation in Houdini

2400   3   1
4 posts
Hi,

I'm fairly new to Houdini and only recently just started to learn Houdini. One of the reasons I started learning houdini
was because of the procedural system in Houdini.

Is it possible to produce character physics simulation like Morpheme/euphoria in Houdini? Like blending from a
semi ragdoll state to a animation or a character falling down and then getting back up from a ragdoll state?

I've been playing around with the RBD solver and the wire solvers in houdini. I've found them quite tricky to get
to work together.

For example I've created a grid like net made with the wire solver with a bullet RBD ball falling down
onto the net. All the settings I've tried so far just results in the ball just streching the wire net and eventually going right through the net. Basically trying to simulate a ball that falls down onto the net with the net holding the
weight of the ball.

Thanks for any insights.
806 posts
Moin,

> Is it possible to produce character physics simulation like Morpheme/euphoria in Houdini? Like blending from a
semi ragdoll state to a animation or a character falling down and then getting back up from a ragdoll state?

Yes.

However, if you are looking for a click-and-be-done-solution, you might get disappointed. You can *develop* things like what you described in Houdini (e.g. by controlling the amount to which points get influenced by simulation or by animation, “blending” from one to the other), but luckily there is no shelf-tool that will get the job done for you pronto.

Marc
---
Out of here. Being called a dick after having supported Houdini users for years is over my paygrade.
I will work for money, but NOT for "you have to provide people with free products" Indie-artists.
Good bye.
https://www.marc-albrecht.de [www.marc-albrecht.de]
8551 posts
crowds have an option to influence ragdolls by animation by turning on Motors for ragdoll state, which essentially applies torques to joints with user control over their strengths etc.
you can of course do similar setup for any rbd ragdoll or bullet constraints in general

if you want to get past simple control from animation to smarter system with auto-ballancing etc. you'd have to build that part yourself
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
4 posts
Thanks for the info all.

Being playing around with the crowd stuff aswell. As you say once you need to go past the simple control you'll need to build that part yourself.
  • Quick Links