65 posts
Title says it all.
240 posts
Haha, Request duly noted
Luiz Kruel
Senior Technical Artist
SideFX
65 posts
@lkruel As a new (Houdini Indie) user, I'd like to see more on the basics of exporting (basic) content and getting it into UE4. For example, I'd like to test the new cloth sim in 4.16. A cube with a cape is all I need, but I feel like I have to learn all about rigging first. The same is true for velocity fields, as I feel I have to learn all about DOPs first. This may or may not be true, I simply don't know. Which is why I feel there is a need for a “Quickstart: Getting your content in UE4” video. A collection of ‘hello world’ examples about getting basic stuff into the game. That little bit of inertia would be a springboard for further exploration and would alleviate feelings of being overwhelmed. Does that make sense?
1192 posts
So this thing is not working for you?
https://www.sidefx.com/tutorials/webinar-houdini-16s-game-shelf-tools-luiz-kruel/ [sidefx.com]
Dragos Stefan
producer + director @ www.dsg.ro
www.dragosstefan.ro
65 posts
No, I'm looking for a how-to on more general game-related stuff, like texture baking. For example, here's an excellent video from Allegorithmic on baking in Substance [youtube.com]. They've got a great series of videos, and even cover details about what a cage is [youtube.com] and how to set it up.
Edited by aoakenfoArchiact - May 10, 2017 17:12:52
394 posts
Hopefully this is a start. I submitted a vectorField export earlier this week to GitHub. You can find the links and a video here. https://www.sidefx.com/tutorials/exporting-vector-fields-to-ue4/ [www.sidefx.com]

Mike
32 posts
mikelyndon-sesi
Hopefully this is a start. I submitted a vectorField export earlier this week to GitHub. You can find the links and a video here. https://www.sidefx.com/tutorials/exporting-vector-fields-to-ue4/ [www.sidefx.com]

Mike

Anyone know why my ROP_vector_field is missing? I have 16.0.632 (latest) and also was missing in 0.6.25 version.

I have installed the game development toolset folder in my Documents/houdini16.0/ folder and copied the path to the game development folder in the env file. Am I missing something? It works for Mike Lydon I see? Odd because I've gotten the other tools to work (aside from Vertex Animation UV giving call back errors. Thought the workflow was to export textures to the vertex animation textures in the output graph alone (which works for me). What is the Vertex Animation UV node then?
394 posts
Hi Gary, That's a lot of different questions all bunched together so I'll start with the first couple. The latest game dev tools aren't included in the installation of Houdini (that's changing in the future). Make sure you're downloading the development branch from GitHub. In fact, you can now download the default 16.0 branch which should have the vector field rop in it.

I'm not too sure what you mean by Vertex Animation UV node.

Mike
32 posts
mikelyndon-sesi
Hi Gary, That's a lot of different questions all bunched together so I'll start with the first couple. The latest game dev tools aren't included in the installation of Houdini (that's changing in the future). Make sure you're downloading the development branch from GitHub. In fact, you can now download the default 16.0 branch which should have the vector field rop in it.

I'm not too sure what you mean by Vertex Animation UV node.

Mike

Hello Mike - Yes I did that already and there's a folder called ROP Vector field inside the game dev folder…but I can't get that node to show up when hitting tab.
394 posts
That's my bad. Add “.hda” to the end of the folder name and it should show up in Houdini. I'll submit the change to GitHub tomorrow.
32 posts
mikelyndon-sesi
That's my bad. Add “.hda” to the end of the folder name and it should show up in Houdini. I'll submit the change to GitHub tomorrow.

I'll give that a try - I see volume to texture is also missing .hda…I'll try that as well.
1 posts
Hello,

This seems like a very old thread, but I'm wondering if since last year a better tutorial about Vector Field Generation for game devs has been created? Right now we are using Maya to generate or Vector Fields, but I'd like to see if Houdini would give use better control and fidelity.

The last video you posted about “Vector fields to UE4” was posted on May 2017 on version 16.0.619. I have version 16.5.459, and it seems like this previous video is no longer relevant.

-Cheers
DG
394 posts
Hi DG,

Can you expand on why the video is no longer relevant? The basic premise is that you can create velocity fields in a number of ways in Houdini. The tool just helps export that into the fga format UE4 is expecting.

Mike
  • Quick Links