Car Sim data import?

1747   3   1
126 posts
Hello all!

I've got an excel spreadsheet with exported vehicle data from a forensic program (PC crash in this case… always found that name funny). It's got columns for time, posx, posy, posz, roll, pitch, yaw for the vehicle's center of gravity as well as its wheels.

I'd like to import that data! I've done something like this in 3ds Max using maxscript but with projects like this I usually get frequent and last minute updates and I'd like to have the file referenced from disk as opposed to having to rerun a script amd relink everything (that's my workflow in Max in the past- always a pain!)

Any suggestions on what to research or where to start?

Thanks!
242 posts
The3DStig
Hello all!

I've got an excel spreadsheet with exported vehicle data from a forensic program (PC crash in this case… always found that name funny). It's got columns for time, posx, posy, posz, roll, pitch, yaw for the vehicle's center of gravity as well as its wheels.

I'd like to import that data! I've done something like this in 3ds Max using maxscript but with projects like this I usually get frequent and last minute updates and I'd like to have the file referenced from disk as opposed to having to rerun a script amd relink everything (that's my workflow in Max in the past- always a pain!)

Any suggestions on what to research or where to start?

Thanks!
Never used it, but take a look at Table import SOP.

This node will read in a csv (comma separated value) file, such as output from spreadsheet applications, and generate a point for each line of the csv file. The position and attributes of the resulting point cloud can be populated by the columns of the file.
1391 posts
Hi

I think one of the good way to import such a these data from external file inside Houdini is Python.

Python is giving you couple of tools to extract these data.(for example extract data from XML file).

I'm not sure but this tutorial may help you:

http://www.entagma.com/niklas-rosenstein-python-in-houdini-visualizing-satellite-data/ [www.entagma.com]
Edited by Sadjad Rabiee - Dec. 21, 2018 04:58:37
https://www.youtube.com/c/sadjadrabiee [www.youtube.com]
Rabiee.Sadjad@Gmail.Com
126 posts
Thanks! I'll dig into the Entagma vids soon- always interesting tutorials from them!

I was able to use the table sop amd after some testing I was able to import the curve! Just need to figure out how to animate a null along said curve using time data in that file…

Thanks again!
  • Quick Links