Curve Control Point Rotation

3074   3   1
36 posts
Hey everyone,

I'm trying to copy objects onto a curve and have individual control over the rotation of those objects in Unreal.

In the docs it says:
Rotation and scale of each control point of the curve can be modified in Unreal using the scale and rotation gizmos. The rotation and scale values will appear as the standard rot and scale points attributes in Houdini.

However, when I rotate a point using the gizmo in Unreal, the objects do not change orientation. I've tried it with editable Houdini curves, Unreal spline components, and input curves. Does this require some sort of initial setup or am I missing something?

Thanks!
Staff
534 posts
Hi

There's no special setup required for this, but your issue might be related to how your hda deals with the added rot and scale point attributes. Here's what I got with a simple copy/resample hda:

Rotation and scale on the input curve where changed in UE4 via the gizmos.

I've attached the HDA, first input is the geo in, second one the curve.

If you cant get it to work, send me your hda and Ill have a look.

Cheers

Damien

Attachments:
Capture.PNG (272.1 KB)
Dam_copyresample.hda (4.0 KB)

36 posts
Hey Damian thanks for the example! I got it working using your method. So does this only work using a geometry input in Unreal? I was hoping to be able to use geo from my Houdini network, but I couldn't get that to work.
Edited by canonball900 - Dec. 27, 2018 19:56:14
453 posts
@canonball900
I think you need to use the unreal_instance method as described here: https://www.sidefx.com/forum/topic/43041/#post-269302 [www.sidefx.com]

When you develop your HDA, you need to use the Unreal curve as inputs, so you can tell what is actually happening. The best process is to plug a curve that you created and manipulated in Unreal into an HDA and then open the whole thing in Houdini. This will give you the Unreal curve as Houdini sees it.
  • Quick Links