Instant Meshes Bridge Sop

70678   93   22
7 posts
Here is a compiled SOP for Instant Meshes, which I made partly as an exercise. Maybe it will be useful. Source is here [bitbucket.org] forked from the original Instant Meshes [github.com]

The attached dll is for Windows, Houdini 17.

Ben
Edited by BRog - Nov. 28, 2018 11:26:00

Attachments:
SOP_InstantMeshes.zip (228.6 KB)

66 posts
Thanks for creating that Ben.

Not Instant Meshes, but along the same lines of remeshing - TetWild [github.com]… Saw this presented at Siggraph 2018 and it looks interesting.

Requires Cmake / Visual Studio compiling (not in my wheel-house). Due to instant meshes uniform remeshing, TetWild might provide a better output for some situations.

If anyone here actually succeeds at getting TetWild working, post back and let us know how it performs. Maybe with a compiled executable too

Cheers
7 posts
Thanks for the link to TetWild 9krausec, it looks very interesting. I will read more about it. I agree there are limitations to Instant Meshes such as the lack of adaptive meshing. Also one of the coolest features of Instant Meshes is the interactive painting of flow-lines which I did not try to implement.

Actually I initially worked on wrapping Quadriflow [github.com] in a SOP. Unfortunately I found some of its options to be less than robust with testing and switched to Instant Meshes (could certainly have been my fault with Quadriflow though).
66 posts
@BRog - Remeshing is definitely an interesting topic. If you are C++ wizard (I am not), and decide to have a look at TetWild, let me know how it goes. Never used Cmake, Visual Studio or any C++ and I gave it a go.. Couldn't get CGAL library to work as it required BOOST which I also couldn't get working.

Never heard of Quadriflow before, but its good to know that it's less robust than instameshes.

My big thing is trying to figure out a way to remesh CAD import data (long triangles of mesh), without VDB. TetWild looked like it's exactly what I need, but after 12 hours of trying to muddle my way into getting it to work, I decided C++ isn't something I could just muddle through compiling even if I wasn't writing any actual code.

SO, let me know if you decide to take it on. I'd hope it would be pretty straight forward for someone who knows what they are doing in C++. Sure not me.
7 posts
Updated dll (realized I had extrinsic/intrinsic options reversed).

Attachments:
SOP_InstantMeshes.zip (228.6 KB)

12 posts
Thank you so much.

Kfinla
/Applications/Instant Meshes.app/Contents/MacOS/Instant Meshes
Kfinla
Got it working with these settings on OSX. Huzzah!
12 posts
do you know guys i get this kind of smooth result i am sure this will be good in some place but not what i want i try it with the standalone version and it's work good but inside Houdini i get this kind of smooth result.

Attachments:
Screen Shot 2019-01-17 at 11.58.46 AM.png (112.8 KB)

4 posts
I can't seem to get instant meshes to work, Houdini 17.0.416 and I've tried Game Dev Toolset 1.98, 1.110 and 1.123 all of them give me this error:

Error
Invalid source /obj/rock/sop_instant_meshes1/python1
Error: Python error: Traceback (most recent call last):
File ”“, line 38, in
File ”C:\PROGRA~1\SIDEEF~1\HOUDIN~1.416\python27\lib\subprocess.py“, line 524, in call
return Popen(*popenargs, **kwargs).wait()
File ”C:\PROGRA~1\SIDEEF~1\HOUDIN~1.416\python27\lib\subprocess.py“, line 711, in __init__
errread, errwrite)
File ”C:\PROGRA~1\SIDEEF~1\HOUDIN~1.416\python27\lib\subprocess.py", line 948, in _execute_child
startupinfo)
WindowsError: The system cannot find the file specified
Invalid source /obj/rock/sop_instant_meshes1/python1
Error: Python error: Traceback (most recent call last):
File “”, line 38, in
File “C:\PROGRA~1\SIDEEF~1\HOUDIN~1.416\python27\lib\subprocess.py”, line 524, in call
return Popen(*popenargs, **kwargs).wait()
File “C:\PROGRA~1\SIDEEF~1\HOUDIN~1.416\python27\lib\subprocess.py”, line 711, in __init__
errread, errwrite)
File “C:\PROGRA~1\SIDEEF~1\HOUDIN~1.416\python27\lib\subprocess.py”, line 948, in _execute_child
startupinfo)
WindowsError: The system cannot find the file specified
"

I can download the Instant Meshes.exe file from the Instant Meshes github page, but I can't seem to figure out where houdini is looking for it…
66 posts
Houdini by default should be looking for the instantMeshes EXE in your user preferences folder (“$HOUDINI_USER_PREF_DIR” = environment variable for it). This is usually located in your documents by default - “C:\Users\%USER%\Documents\houdini17.0”

Drop the EXE in there and it should pick up. To see where it is pointing to or change the location the SOP points to, check out the “settings” tab of the SOP.
8 posts
Hi, some workaround to transfer UVs? Like I have a mesh from “Capture Reality” than run it through an “Instant Mesh” but transfer attribute UV not work very well.
B.
240 posts
We have a UV Transfer node now in the gamedev tools. Give that a shot and let us know how it works for you
Luiz Kruel
Senior Technical Artist
SideFX
436 posts
Dude! This this app is amazing. Retopo is not my thing, and watching younglings working with ZBrush, Mudbox, 3DCoat, or by hand in Maya,retopo task looks about as much fun as gluing salt onto crackers. But this is frigging cosmic. R U 1 of the authors?
3 posts
Hey guys, I love Instant Mesh bridge in Houdini idea, but… it's not working properly even with same setting as in core program. Maybe you can figure it out whats wrong and how to handle it, coz it's number one thing for our houdini assembly line.

Of course we would love to have more options for instant mesh (compare to core program) if thats possible, but just seeing it working in houdini would be awesome.

Attachments:
houdini_2019-03-29_13-17-23.png (695.8 KB)
Instant_Meshes_2019-03-29_13-17-25.png (756.4 KB)

75 posts
This may be a function of the Instant Meshes code itself, but the output seems to be different every time it runs on the same geo. Is there any way to make the output repeatable? This is causing problems with the reproducability of downstream nodes like scatter etc.
  • Quick Links