Maximum animation resolution not 1440x1440

3275   4   1
166 posts
Hello,

When rendering with Mantra in Houdini Indie, I can render animations up to a resolution of 1440x1440 pixels, which is the same pixel count as 1920x1080.

However, when rendering with Redshift, the maximum square resolution for animations is 1080x1080 pixels, the reason being:
author="Juanjo Gonzalez" date="1487778327
I'm sorry, but the agreement signed with SideFX to allow Redshift to work inside the Indie version is clear:
“The maximum resolution of any sequence of images produced by the Renderer must be 1920x1080”

SESI even sent us the code to apply the Indie restrictions at render time, and it is also clear:
(x_res <= 1920 && y_res <= 1080)

Is this an error on SideFX' part or why would 3rd party renderers have a different resolution cap? This is quite terrible because I need 1440x1440 resolution, and I've now spent several days doing a long render and shader setup for Redshift, assuming that it has the same resolution restriction as Mantra. Today, it was time to do the final full resolution renders for my client, and it turns out that it's not working, nooooooooo
21 posts
I'm trying to render 1080x1080 but I'm just getting 540x540 on the output? Any help fixing that? I was enjoying a trial and now I've just activated my new recent license for Redshift but I can't render square frames at 1080
83 posts
ocalaf
I'm trying to render 1080x1080 but I'm just getting 540x540 on the output? Any help fixing that? I was enjoying a trial and now I've just activated my new recent license for Redshift but I can't render square frames at 1080
If you are rendering in the RenderView check the IPR settings in the ROP node. By default the IPR rendering resolution is half the camera resolution, but you can disable or adjust this option there.

Thanks,
-Juanjo
Computer Graphics Software Developer
35 posts
I'm using Houdini Apprentice & I've just installed a trial version of Redshift but when I render I get the following message:

“Error: Output driver not supported in Apprentice version.”

Everything else seems to be working OK with Redshift, but no render!!!

Can you use Redshift with Houdini Apprentice?

Or have I got to make more changes then ones I've already made to Houdini.env file to get Redshift to work in Apprentice?
The only devil I know is in the detail.
8551 posts
SteveS_66
Can you use Redshift with Houdini Apprentice?
no, according to this page, Apprentice doesn't have 3rd party rendering support
https://www.sidefx.com/products/compare/ [www.sidefx.com]
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
  • Quick Links