Curves UX Improvement Suggestion - Both for Unity + Houdini Engine + Houdini

3311   6   2
1 posts
Is there a better way to allow curve editing inside Unity (and Houdini/Other Engine Products) for curves that do not depend on listing all the points in a single input text field?

If you have more than 4-5 points (which is more often than not), you have to scroll back and forth to edit the numerical values of each point. As points increase, you easily lose track of which point index it is that you're working on. A workaround I can probably build right now in Unity is my own Editor + Monobehaviour that takes a Houdini Curve asset as a reference and rebake my multiple control point GameObject transform positions to the Curve asset. However, this approach is only good for Unity and doesn't solve the UX woes in Houdini itself.

It seems like the tool was designed to be used for eyeballing purposes of placing around general areas where you would like a control point, but when precision is required, the current setup is pretty hard to use as control points start to grow.

The suggested solution of how I would do it in Unity would be to create an array of Vector3s to store the positions only of each control point and allow editing of those in a list form. Selecting any individual point, would highlight the row for that point index. Upon completion of edit, it would recompile the list/array of Vector3s into a single string that can be passed to the Curve asset/node.

Attachments:
vlcsnap-2019-02-05-10h42m44s371.png (654.4 KB)

28 posts
Hi qoobit,

I totally agree with you. As curves are a key components for a lot of procedural tools, they indeed need much love in Houdini and Unity.

For the Unity plugin, I already entered a bunch of RFEs to improve CVs selection, display and other crucial stuff like supporting rotation and scale per CV so we can get those attributes back to Houdini to modify our HDAs (like river width, road size and banking, fences twist, etc.)
Most of these features are supported in the Unreal plugin.

I hope those RFEs can be tackled as soon as possible, as they would definitely improve an already very solid integration in Unity.
13 posts
chekboom
Hi qoobit,

I totally agree with you. As curves are a key components for a lot of procedural tools, they indeed need much love in Houdini and Unity.

For the Unity plugin, I already entered a bunch of RFEs to improve CVs selection, display and other crucial stuff like supporting rotation and scale per CV so we can get those attributes back to Houdini to modify our HDAs (like river width, road size and banking, fences twist, etc.)
Most of these features are supported in the Unreal plugin.

I hope those RFEs can be tackled as soon as possible, as they would definitely improve an already very solid integration in Unity.
how in the hell have they not implemented it yet ,its 2021 now i keep searching and seeing people running into same problems because you cant have rotate and pscale attributes controlled by curve inside unity ,i was gona enter another RFE but its already there
38 posts
Houdini's curve tool is unbelievably bad, and SideFX doesn't even want to update it totally.
22 posts
Hey all,

I also saw the RFEs, and can confirm that this would improve most workflows drastically!

Do you guys think there are any additional actions that would bump/increase priority for such functionality?

Cheers,
Ilia
100 posts
Hi there!

Here's the feedback I got regarding UX RFEs:
- Display curve coordinates as a list of Vector3 (Which converts it into the string if modified)
- Ability to edit the point attributes per CV (or at least rot/scale)
- Ability to frame curve points (instead of the entire curve) with F

If you have any additional requests, please submit an RFE through the bug database: https://www.sidefx.com/forum/topic/38188/ [www.sidefx.com]
Edited by anthonyt2 - April 6, 2021 17:20:29
13 posts
anthonyt2
Hi there!

Here's the feedback I got regarding UX RFEs:
- Display curve coordinates as a list of Vector3 (Which converts it into the string if modified)
- Ability to edit the point attributes per CV (or at least rot/scale)
- Fuse edit/add mode to match the UX of the curve node in Houdini
- Add option to snap curve to all geometry in scene viewport
- Ability to frame curve points (instead of the entire curve) with F
- Visual change: When you select a point, keep curve node sphere but make it purple when selected

If you have any additional requests, please submit an RFE through the bug database: https://www.sidefx.com/forum/topic/38188/ [www.sidefx.com]
are you working on the rfe's as we speak ,if so awyiss !
  • Quick Links