Trouble with a boolean operation

1463   3   0
42 posts
Hi all, I'm only a week into learning Houdini and even though the curve is steep I'm finding it very interesting along the way. So apologies for any questions that may be a bit obvious. Currently I'm using a boolean to cut out windows from a building (yeah yeah my first building generator )

However it seems a bit hit and miss when the windows get cut out properly. The input mesh is watertight and the boolean meshes are just a bunch of scaled cubes (which also seem solid) If I set detriangulate off then everything works fine, but I kind of need the quads as the next step is to slice the building up in specific spots and i don't want all the extra points it introduces. See the attached images.

cheers - Aten

Attachments:
Capture.JPG (154.6 KB)
Capture2.JPG (167.6 KB)

42 posts
Sorry for double posting the images btw…!
42 posts
I tracked back a bit and noticed when I turned off the ‘transform with point orientations’ on the copytopoints it worked fine, thing is I do need them to face the right way. So maybe it's not related to the boolean…?

Attachments:
Capture.JPG (177.6 KB)
Capture2.JPG (231.9 KB)

42 posts
Ok, after a bit of trial and error I seem to have gotten a better result by scaling out the cutter objects away from the building by a certain margin. Not sure why that worked but it seems to have fixed it in every case!

Attachments:
1.JPG (87.1 KB)
2.JPG (94.7 KB)

• Quick Links