Video or tutorial for RBD Constraints From Curves/Lines etc?

2130   4   1
47 posts
I'm trying to see how to use the material fracturing with RBD Constraints From Curves but the docs don't show examples of how these fit together and I can't find anything on SideFX Vimeo on first glance. Anyone have a good guide on this?
731 posts
I recently did a tutorial that goes over how to use constraints with RBD in Houdini, and how to use constraints not created by the RBD Material Fracture SOP, or to fix constraints that were incorrectly made by this SOP. It does not cover the new RBD Constraints from Curve SOP, but you can easily use the techniques described in the video.

https://www.lostboys-learning.com/courses/introduction-to-material-based-destruction-and-constraints-in-houdini-17#houdini [www.lostboys-learning.com]
Sean Lewkiw
CG Supervisor
Machine FX - Cinesite MTL
47 posts
thanks - I'm aware of the workflows for non-material based workflows but the new nodes have inputs and outputs like for constraints that align so I thought there was a way to get these to play nice together in a way that didn't require work like in the legacy workflows, similar to how Vellum works with piping relevant data into associated nodes. If this doesn't work like this in RBD material stuff, that's fine but I just want to know. The attached setup doesn't work to bind the connected pieces

Attachments:
Screen Shot 2019-03-25 at 8.24.46 AM.png (147.0 KB)

Staff
727 posts
Just a guess from the screenshot, but you would still need to use e.g. RBD Constraint Properties to define whether those new constraints are glue or soft constraints, etc
731 posts
I have not played with the Constraints from curves SOP, but for RBD Material Fracture (RBDMF) to RBDMF….in theory you should be able to just plug the constraint network of the first node into the second node and third node, etc., and then you magically get inter-material constraints. From my experiments though it breaks after the second constraint, (buggy), plus you are going to be in a world of hurt in terms of speed.

So unfortunately for now I think you have to go back to legacy workflow for inter-material constraints.
Sean Lewkiw
CG Supervisor
Machine FX - Cinesite MTL
  • Quick Links