Advanced Face Autorig Fails in Houdini Indie 17.0.459

1718   4   0
30 posts
Hi everyone,

I purchased a Houdini Indie license specifically to test out the auto-rigging functionality, and so far all the biped modules work just fine, but the problem arises when I try and add an Advanced Face Rig. Has anyone been able to get the advanced face rig to work? I followed the newest SideFX documentation very closely and after having spent several hours troubleshooting, it's still unable to generate the rig. Could this possibly be because the model I'm trying to rig doesn't have symmetry?

The console displays the following:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “CPROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.506/houdini/python2.7libs\autorigs\ui\uiCharacterTabs.py”, line 190, in buildRig
success = self.currentWidget().buildRig()
File “CPROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.506/houdini/python2.7libs\autorigs\ui\uiCharacterTabs.py”, line 343, in buildRig
self.autorigs_asset.buildRig()
File “CPROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.506/houdini/python2.7libs\autorigs\asset\autoRigsAsset.py”, line 157, in buildRig
self.autorigs_modules.buildModules(settings, geoskin)
File “CPROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.506/houdini/python2.7libs\autorigs\asset\autoRigsModules.py”, line 101, in buildModules
module.buildRig(i)
File “CPROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.506/houdini/python2.7libs\autorigs\modules\advancedFace\advancedFaceModule.py”, line 93, in buildRig
self.autorigsbuilder.buildRig()
File “CPROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.506/houdini/python2.7libs\autorigs\modules\base\autoRigsBaseBuilder.py”, line 64, in buildRig
self.onCaptureCompleted()
File “CPROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.506/houdini/python2.7libs\autorigs\modules\advancedFace\autoRigsAdvancedFaceBuilder.py”, line 259, in onCaptureCompleted
self.lip_builder.onCaptureCompleted()
File “CPROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.506/houdini/python2.7libs\autorigs\modules\advancedFace\lip\autoRigsLipBuilder.py”, line 923, in onCaptureCompleted
self.onCaptureCompletedLid(self.upper_group.getPrefix(), self.upper_group.getNode(“fsp”),
File “CPROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.506/houdini/python2.7libs\autorigs\modules\base\autoRigsBaseBuilder.py”, line 401, in getNode
return self.allnodes
KeyError: ‘fsp’
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “CPROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.506/houdini/python2.7libs\autorigs\ui\uiCharacterTabs.py”, line 190, in buildRig
success = self.currentWidget().buildRig()
File “CPROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.506/houdini/python2.7libs\autorigs\ui\uiCharacterTabs.py”, line 343, in buildRig
self.autorigs_asset.buildRig()
File “CPROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.506/houdini/python2.7libs\autorigs\asset\autoRigsAsset.py”, line 157, in buildRig
self.autorigs_modules.buildModules(settings, geoskin)
File “CPROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.506/houdini/python2.7libs\autorigs\asset\autoRigsModules.py”, line 101, in buildModules
module.buildRig(i)
File “CPROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.506/houdini/python2.7libs\autorigs\modules\advancedFace\advancedFaceModule.py”, line 93, in buildRig
self.autorigsbuilder.buildRig()
File “CPROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.506/houdini/python2.7libs\autorigs\modules\base\autoRigsBaseBuilder.py”, line 64, in buildRig
self.onCaptureCompleted()
File “CPROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.506/houdini/python2.7libs\autorigs\modules\advancedFace\autoRigsAdvancedFaceBuilder.py”, line 259, in onCaptureCompleted
self.lip_builder.onCaptureCompleted()
File “CPROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.506/houdini/python2.7libs\autorigs\modules\advancedFace\lip\autoRigsLipBuilder.py”, line 923, in onCaptureCompleted
self.onCaptureCompletedLid(self.upper_group.getPrefix(), self.upper_group.getNode(“fsp”),
File “CPROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.506/houdini/python2.7libs\autorigs\modules\base\autoRigsBaseBuilder.py”, line 401, in getNode
return self.allnodes
KeyError: ‘fsp’

Here are my system specs:

System Core:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X-99-Designare EX Rev 1.0

CPU: Intel Core i7 6950X 3.00GHz, Ten Core 25MB 140W

Ram: Crucial 128GB DDR4-2400 (8x16GB)

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080Ti 11GB

Sound Card: Onboard sound

Storage/ Hard Drives:

Primary drive: Samsung 850 Pro 512GB SATA 6Gb/s 2.5inch SSD

Secondary drive: Samsung 850 Pro 512GB SATA 6Gb/s 2.5inch SSD

Internal RAID0 Array: 6x Seagate Barracuda 3TB 7200 rpm SATA III 3.5"

Case / Cooling:

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Titanium

Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 Power Supply

CPU cooling: 2x Noctua NH-U12DX i4

Additional Cooling: Arctic Cooling MX-2 Thermal Compound Upgrade

Software:

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Houdini Indie 17.0.459

Thanks,
9 posts
I have to say that ALL tools associated with Autorigs, Character picker and Pose Library are extremely buggy and far away from beta -> at least on windows. Might be different on MAC or Linux machines. The most recent 17.5.202 brought improvements for character picker but rendered Autorigs and Pose Library completely useless.
Staff
3455 posts
BenjaminMarkus
I purchased a Houdini Indie license specifically to test out the auto-rigging functionality, and so far all the biped modules work just fine, but the problem arises when I try and add an Advanced Face Rig. Has anyone been able to get the advanced face rig to work? I followed the newest SideFX documentation very closely and after having spent several hours troubleshooting, it's still unable to generate the rig. Could this possibly be because the model I'm trying to rig doesn't have symmetry?

I'll look at this today - I had trouble reproducing this last week.
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
30 posts
Thanks for having a look Michael. I can send you a scene file or HDA tomorrow if you’d like. It may simply have to do with the way my character is set up, like the way I split up the eyes, etc…

I’ve been meaning to test it out with that Tommy character, which seems to be the one used in the documentation. If I can get it to work with him, I was thinking I could go back and modify my character a bit so it’s laid out the same way. Not changing the sculpt, but simply separating objects in a similar fashion, and perhaps that will fix it.

The advanced face auto-rigger seems poised to be a really fantastic time saving tool, but it would be nice if there was more documentation on how to use it. I found the Houdini white paper on the advanced face module to be a little confusing without actually seeing a recording of the process. Are you planning on adding any advanced face autorig tutorials to your rigging training?

Also, I’ve noticed that the viewport and playback speed when animating in Houdini is very slow and I’ve read quite harsh criticism from other character animators regarding the same problem. Some users mentioned some potential workarounds or solutions, for the time being, but being new to Houdini, I didn’t fully understand how to implement all of them and get a better frame rate. Might this question also be addressed in one of your future videos or series?

Thanks again for taking the time to have a look!
Staff
3455 posts
yes, please send me what you can and I'd be happy to have a look.
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
  • Quick Links