Blend shapes with bones animation.

2222   5   1
16 posts
Hi everyone! First of I just want to start by saying I'm new to Houdini so please abre with me

I'm doing some tests with blendshapes and bones on a simple sphere. Created 3 bones, captured the sphere (biharmonic is amazing btw), duplicated the sphere object, deformed it a bit with a mountain SOP, added the blendshape node before the capture ones, set it to be driven by an null which is the control.

After this I animated the bones and animated the control(null). The interesting part comes now. In Houdini, the blendshape doesn't show only when the blendshape node is set to visible and it's not additive, so even if the bones are animated and move the sphere into a position, the blendshape moves them back to the original position of the object. But, when I export it to Unreal, everything acts as it's supposed to do, the blendshape is additive on top of the animation.
How can this be and how can I have it to show properly in Houdini?

Thank you and sorry for the long description.
Staff
3455 posts
can you upload your test scene?
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
16 posts
goldfarb
can you upload your test scene?
Hi Michael, of course.

There are two subnetworks in there, geo_rig and geo_CtrlRig. geo_CtrlRig contains the driver for blendshape. I'm having them like that because I export them both to unreal, geo_rig is exported for the mesh and skeleton and geo_CtrlRig is exported for the animations.

Thank you
Edited by azeroc - April 11, 2019 15:16:57

Attachments:
Test_BlendShape.hiplc (851.7 KB)

1755 posts
Put the blendshape node right before the bone deform node.
16 posts
McNistor
Thanks,

It worked for Houdini, it appears properly but now it's doing the opossite in Unreal, it's not being added as additive (compared to the previous setup where it appeared properly in Unreal)
16 posts
azeroc
McNistor
Thanks,

It worked for Houdini, it appears properly but now it's doing the opossite in Unreal, it's not being added as additive (compared to the previous setup where it appeared properly in Unreal)

Ok, quick edit note: Don't know why but for some reason overwriting existing fbx files after those changes it somehow messed the entire fbx. Exported as a new fbx and it worked also for Unreal.

So, finally SUCCESS.
  • Quick Links