Houdini and CoreDuo

4524   6   0
33 posts
Anyone using Houdini with an Intel Core Duo? I've been getting lots of errors such as
'UT_NetPacket::read: No such file or directory
mantra: Network Error Missing data in read – possible remote crash'
everytime I try to use 2 processors in the MAntra options dialog. WHen I check the rmeote hosts check box and have localhost as the text All the erors go away except I still only get ~50% cpu usage. So to clarify my question: 1- does Houdini effectively utilize both cores of a CoreDuo setup and 2- anyone know what I should be doing to see greater cpu usage during renders with Mantra? Thanks for any help anyone can provide.
575 posts
I assume You are using apprentice. I think this is blocked in apprentice. I have no idea how this works in a commercial version , but on a dualcore X2 it's the same.

martin

PS: But considering that mantra uses only one proc, it's amazing how fast and good dispacmentsmaps and motionblur are rendered. Everytime I'm amazed.
509 posts
hey,

since I'm also waiting for my new thinkpad Dual Core laptop .. i wonder if houdini itself uses both processors to cook SOPs (and others)…

cheers
JcN
VisualCortexLab Ltd :: www.visualcortexlab.com
12464 posts
sanostol
I assume You are using apprentice. I think this is blocked in apprentice.

Yeah, it might be a good idea for SESI to print a warning if you're attempting to render dual proc on Apprentice just to prevent this type of confusion.
Jason Iversen, Technology Supervisor & FX Pipeline/R+D Lead @ Weta FX
also, http://www.odforce.net [www.odforce.net]
575 posts
And a other apprentice wall I ran into, that might be interesting, that every outputformat other than picnc has resolution limits and sidefx logo.
the result for shadowmaps is quite surprising :wink:

martin
12464 posts
Heh heh, I can imagine. (Of course, you know that rendering these to RAT or PIC formats will avoid the watermark, right?)
Jason Iversen, Technology Supervisor & FX Pipeline/R+D Lead @ Weta FX
also, http://www.odforce.net [www.odforce.net]
575 posts
really? I used rat format and there is a icon, but using deep shadows solved it.
  • Quick Links