Camera objects are renamed when creating alembic?

1307   3   0
2 posts
Why do camera objects get renamed to “cameraProperties” when creating an alembic?

I'm trying to load the alembic in another program which is reading the camera names and not the alembic xform names. Is there a simple solution to create an .abc file without the extra xform objects that I'm missing, or is this just how houdini handles cameras?

I've included a sample file that replicates this issue.

Image Not Found

Attachments:
AlembicCameras.hip (180.9 KB)

7762 posts
That's how the exporter works, currently. There's no ‘camera shape’ in houdini, so to create one for the alembic it picks an arbitrary name. It would be nice if there was a way to control that, but I'm not aware of one. Is it a problem for the consumer of the exported camera when the camera shape is named ‘cameraProperties’? The parent transform will have the same name as the houdini camera.
9 posts
Rather than use an arbitrary name, it would be great if the exporter just used the same name as the parent xform. We're importing cameras in to Mari as projectors and it's not super useful to end up with dozens of different objects all named “cameraProperties”.
9 posts
When exporting cameras for import as projectors in to Mari, for example, it would be helpful to have the camera shape named the same as its parent transform. As it is now, when you import several cameras they all end up being named ‘cameraProperties’ and the original name that was attached to the XForm gets lost.
  • Quick Links