HDK

5668   8   2
88 posts
I'm getting an error using hcustom to compile a .cpp script. The error reads, MSVCDir environment variable not set. Where do I find this variable to change and what do I change it to? Also, can I run hcustom on .cpp files as well as .c?
7753 posts
http://www.odforce.net/wiki/index.php/HDKFrequentlyAskedQuestions [odforce.net]
88 posts
Thanks. But which version of Visual c++ will work. There's a couple – Visual Studio 2005 Professional Edition and Visual Studio 2005 Standard Edition.

Thanks.
2199 posts
I was under the impression it only works with Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003, that's the one I use anyhow.

Very first line of that Wiki link

For Houdini 7.0 or Houdini 8.X, you must use Microsoft's Visual C++ .NET 2003.
The trick is finding just the right hammer for every screw
166 posts
I confirm, on windows, the HDK will only work with VC++ 2003. There are few thread on the forum about how to configure it. VC++ 2005 or free editions do not work unfortunately.
Time to get out of this messy world.
88 posts
Thanks. Wanted to know if the newer verions would work. ops:
166 posts
Concerning the setting of the HDK on Windows, I posted a new version of the HDK presentation. It has nothing more but an extra page explaining how to setup on Windows and which VC++ version to use as well as how to setup the MCVDir variable.
Again any problem, post a message or a word on the forum.
88 posts
Thank you. That's awesome. I've got it working now. So .dll is what gets compiled and thrown into the dso directory? And this is the operator file that Houdini reads in?
166 posts
The .dll, will be compiled and thrown to the DSO directory, usually the user local one. But you can specify the directory you want your DSO to be installed with the flag -i (ie: -i . for current directory, or anything you wish ).
As long you declare properly in the operator table function in your DSO, Houdini will pick your DSO. Also you have to make sure that your DSO path is in the Houdini Path as explained in the intro.
  • Quick Links