The Great Divide in CG Facilities: Adapt or Die

27318   23   7
63 posts
terrybuchanan
Thanks for the post.
What is the difference between “Special Effects” and “Visual Effects”?
T

Special effects are practical effects (pyro's, etc) - done with “real stuff”. Visual effects are computer generated images mixed with live action, or any post production on the live plate.
2624 posts
Well as a new user to Houdini , but an experienced operator. I am stunned with what a great application it is and many of our FX tds have nothing to say but good things about houdini.I work with people who have used it at Core R&H , Framestore & Sony

The big things that people have mentioned is the lack of skilled people at a TD level who can set up a Houdini pipeline and then manage it from top to bottom.Lets face facts if you cannot find the staff your not going to use the application.

I must admit I have had a good time creating effects etc , but when it has come to trying to figure out ok “how do i build an interface with buttons to set values ” I gave up.If you use maya its all there in the mel help So as ever Better documentation is required and everybody Ive spoken to about houdini mentions this more so than anything else !!!

rob
Gone fishing
166 posts
I must admit I have had a good time creating effects etc , but when it has come to trying to figure out ok “how do i build an interface with buttons to set values ” I gave up.If you use maya its all there in the mel help So as ever Better documentation is required and everybody Ive spoken to about houdini mentions this more so than anything else !!!

As a Developer ( Maya, Houdini and + ) and Houdini TD, “building interface” for HDA is just a question of drag and drop (easy), while for Schmaya, it means using MEL and its “interface” syntax (annoying), although there is some doc there. Just a question of taste, I believe.

Is it easier for an entry level 3D person to get the foot in the door in the large studios working on commercials rather than film, and then transfer once the skills-set is honed?

I dont know if it easier as now “commercial effects” ask for efficiency. I will say it is not like a feature film, where the people have time to experiment and seek the best approach to achieve the desired effect. In commercials, delays are getting shorter and shorter and the quality has to remain, so it could be difficult for a junior to adapt but it will be a great way to learn.
Time to get out of this messy world.
581 posts
Le_monkey_butt

As a Developer ( Maya, Houdini and + ) and Houdini TD, “building interface” for HDA is just a question of drag and drop (easy), while for Schmaya, it means using MEL and its “interface” syntax (annoying), although there is some doc there. Just a question of taste, I believe.
I am agree with Le monkey, but I even go further definitely there is no comparasion of creating an ui using drag'n drop or having to write MEL.
I have been a developer to, and still be I hope , and creating an ui with MEL is a mess comapred to udsing automatic systems to construct ui.
OTL have this tool to create ui so I think that is far better to have to ahrd code all the ui by yourself.
In Maya is impossible that a non-programmer use can create his/her own ui for his/her tool, in Houdini is possible.

Is it easier for an entry level 3D person to get the foot in the door in the large studios working on commercials rather than film, and then transfer once the skills-set is honed?

I dont know if it easier as now “commercial effects” ask for efficiency. I will say it is not like a feature film, where the people have time to experiment and seek the best approach to achieve the desired effect. In commercials, delays are getting shorter and shorter and the quality has to remain, so it could be difficult for a junior to adapt but it will be a great way to learn.
I think that are different work, related but different. So is difficult to compare every of them has his own pros and cons.
Maybe feature film is another good place to learn because you have time to test, in commercials os more difficult to have this time.
Un saludo
Best Regards

Pablo Giménez
  • Quick Links