snap question

6287   11   2
313 posts
Hi there,
I am currently learning how to model in Houdini, I ‘m just having difficulty to move my edit point snapping the vertical contruction plane line. I do not want to snap it to the contruction plane’s point but the vertical line. Is it possible? Could someone please show me how?

Thank you for your attention!

Attachments:
snap.jpg (95.9 KB)

Staff
2540 posts
The Snap Options window sets priorities for snapping. The way you have it set up now is that C-Plane point takes precidence over C-Plane edge. The further right you move the slider the more precidence that option takes.
You want the reverse.
Or just slide C-Plane point all the way over to the left to disable it.

You may also want to adjust your gravity. It is set to 30 pixels. Setting this to a smaller number may help as well.
There's at least one school like the old school!
313 posts
I still cannot get that worked even I had turn down the gravity value and snap only on the C-plane edge. Did anyone got it working successfully? (especailly when having more than 1 point selected)
Staff
2540 posts
Do you have snapping turned on? The Snap Options dialog does not mean you have snapping on (ctrl-j shortcut). That little arrow in the snap button should be all the way down.
Once you are editing points and snap is on and you have made your selection, you should just be able to drag one of the selected entities to snap to whatever you want.

Here's a handy tip using the handle:
-Turn on point snapping
-detatch the handle by hitting the single quote key on the keyboard
-should see the center of the handle go hollow
-move the handle to the point on the selection you wish to snap to the construction plane edge
-press the single quote key to re-attach the handle
-move handle to snap to edge moving your points

That's how you move a bunch of points with the handle to snap to your areas of interest.

Note: When the handle is “detatched” from the geometry, you can do whatever you want with the handle. Snap it to a point, rotate one of the axes by snaping to another point to align the handle to an edge, whatever.
9 posts
I'd like to point out that you must drag on the square in the middle of the transform manipulator to enable snapping. Clicking on the axes handles will not work!
Staff
2540 posts
I just checked this out in H9.1 latest build and it works on windowsXP 32bit OS.

Granted the very first time I hit ‘ to get the origin handle for the T, R or E scale handle, there is a slight hesitation when I picked one of the xyz handles as opposed to the origin. This goes away for all subsequent origin manipulations whether in objects or geometry (SOPs).

Please try again. If you can’t manipulate the origin handle for either the t, r or e scale handles, then report back with what version of Houdini, graphics card/driver and the OS that you are working on.
9 posts
I'm working in the UV view within a UVEdit node and one thing I am unable to do is to have the manipulator snap to one of the vertices of the selected primitive after hitting the ‘ key (it will snap to a vertex of an unselected primitive, however). I notice that in the manipulator options there is a “snap to other objects” check box, but this doesn’t seem to have any effect. Am I missing something obvious here?
948 posts
I am still having problems to snap, for example I want my new curve sop points to snap to other object points as I create them and no matter what I do I couldn't make it work.

Any tips?
https://vimeo.com/user2163076 [vimeo.com]
333 posts
make sure you have display flag on for points if you want to snap to points. if you want to snap to template or selected, make sure in display settings its turned on too.

its a bug in current version i think. it used to work but snap was always being buggy in Houdini i felt. Sometimes It can also help create a new scene view if snapping glitched out and wont work at all.

i heard sidefx is rewriting snap engine for the next major update. hopefully soon with H13.5
Staff
5156 posts
its a bug in current version i think. it used to work but snap was always being buggy in Houdini i felt. Sometimes It can also help create a new scene view if snapping glitched out and wont work at all.

This was fixed a few days ago in 13.0.371. You no longer need to manually enable points to snap to them.
333 posts
♥ thats great! i just saw the new production build !

sry for my english in the previous post
948 posts
Good to know!
Thanks!
https://vimeo.com/user2163076 [vimeo.com]
  • Quick Links