Mirror Capture Weights

1097   3   1
30 posts
Hi all,

I'm new to Houdini Rig

Rig has done through Autorig in houdini 17.5.425
To tweak the weights, used CaptureLayerPaint operator.
Then to mirror those weights, first I've tried MirrorCaptureWeights at Object level. But couldn't able to select the destination points which makes me to switch SOP level.
So directly I'd entered into SOP network, then created CapturedMirror.
In that manually selected the destination points & added into the Group parameter, then added the destination bones into the “TO” parameters by copying the bones from the “FROM”paramaters.
Then tried the origin & directions which cant achieve the desired output.

I would also like to know why I couldn't able to do the mirror capture weights in object level itself. I've tried in with a simple sphere, I got the output which happens in simple geometry & SOP level. But I couldn't able to get it in the autorig which needs to dive into an extra subnetwork.

I've attached my WIP file along with this post.

Someone please help me and understand what i am doing wrong

Thanks in advance

Attachments:
Mirror.hip (5.2 MB)

Staff
3455 posts
the first issue is that the ‘geo_skin’ node's selection flag is OFF - this will prevent selecting points, you should turn this back on.

when manually adding bones you must only add the bones you want to use as source bones to the From field
and only add bones you want to use as the destination to the To field
eg:
From : “Head_Head_bone/cregion 0”, “L_Arm_clavicle/cregion 0”
To : “Head_Head_bone/cregion 0”, “R_Arm_clavicle/cregion 0”

Note that in this example the head in is both fields - you'll want and bones in the middle to be in both fields
“L_Arm_clavicle/cregion 0” is in the From field
“R_Arm_clavicle/cregion 0” is in the To field

this will take the weights from the Left and send them to the Right.

hope that helps

this tutorial was just published if you haven't seen it yet:
https://www.sidefx.com/tutorials/rigging-series-2-capturing-geometry/ [www.sidefx.com]
Edited by goldfarb - Jan. 9, 2020 13:57:24
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
1755 posts
@goldfarb I hope there will be an update soon/ish regarding the weights for character stuff, mirroring included. Both the workflow as well as the performance and the produced results. For example, the mirror node, doesn't produce expected results with none of its methods sometimes. God knows what makes a difference, I for one never been able to reproduce the wacky results I get sometimes.
This is an area in Houdini where tumbleweeds have been rolling around as far as development goes for a long time now.
30 posts
Thank you @goldfarb, followed your techniques, its working like charm. Will watch the tutorial which you have shared.

Cheers
  • Quick Links