Enabling Renderman for Houdini 17.5. Installing Pro server

4998   6   1
72 posts
Hi,

I am trying to enable Renderman in Houdini 17.5. I am not sure if Renderman is packed with Houdini already. But I found it in my shelf and there's a render node for it. So I assume it is packed already. Please clarify.

When I try to render using Renderman I got this message: CreateProcess failed for ‘prman’.

I added this to the Houdini Environment Settings file located in the Documents folder

RMANTREE = “C:\Program Files\Pixar\RenderManProServer-20.9”
PATH = “$PATH;$RMANTREE/bin”

But still does not work.

More tips: I could not find Pixar folder in my program Files. I was looking for it to determine which version of Renderman is installed in my system ?
7740 posts
Although RIS nodes are indeed built-in to Houdini, Renderman (prman) is not included with Houdini. You will need to install RenderMan Pro Server separately.
72 posts
Thanks for the reply. I looked inyo renderman wrbsite and downloaded the installar. There's no option for Houdini under renderman 22, and could not find ver 21 to download. Can anyone plz support where can I download ver 21 for houdini ?
7740 posts
There is no renderman for Houdini plugin. Download renderman ProServer, as the plugin is already integrated with Houdini.
19 posts
Renderman 22 for Houdini is currently in beta testing. You can participate in it by buying a license or wait for getting immediate access to it or wait a while to get a free non-commercial license a few weeks after its official release.

Hint: V-Ray for Houdini is in public beta right now, and worth a try. You will need to download the nightlies though in order to get it work if you are on Houdini 17.5

// edit: no access to older versions of Renderman without a commercial licence.
Edited by r-cite - April 13, 2019 17:38:11
3 posts
I am trying to make it work Renderman in Houdini 18.0.348, I have downloaded the last prman 23.1 that comes with the pro server.

But it doesn't work. It gives me an error. “Unable to execute prman”.

The fail can be on the plugin side or the Houdini side, I don't know, but I have prman working in Maya without problem.

It's only for testing, I don't need prman in Houdini, I am learning Mantra. But It would be cool.
Staff
1448 posts
The instructions here should still work: https://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini/render/renderman.html [www.sidefx.com]

But if you want most-up-to-date configuration, you should install RfH bridge product: https://rmanwiki.pixar.com/display/RFH23/Installation+of+RenderMan+for+Houdini [rmanwiki.pixar.com]
  • Quick Links