Extracting .fbm textures from an imported FBX file

6298   3   1
33 posts
Hi guys! I've recently bought a model online, it was originally created in 3dMax with Vray textures, then converted into FBX. When I imported the FBX file, and looked at the Materials that it came with, some of the textures were listed in the texture window as “.fbm/texture.jpg”. Those files are NOT included along with other external textures, and when I click on them, I'm told Houdini can't find them. However, the images themselves are visible both in my viewport and my render window - as long as I render locally. If I try to network render, Mantra tells me it can't find those specific textures.

Any idea how I can extract those textures from FBX (or OBJ, or whatever) and save them separately, so that I can re-link them to my materials afterwards?

Also, I have a copy of 3DMax but not Vray, so I can't fix it in Max.

Thank you in advance!

Inna
33 posts
Never mind :-) I imported the same FBX file in 3DSMax and doing so somehow extracted the .fbm file, so now all those missing textures are accounted for and can be relinked. So glad we still had our old copy of Max!

Cheers!
59 posts
How can you do this without having 3DSMax ???
279 posts
You can do this via a COP. Inside your FBX Subnetwork:
1. create a COP2 Network
2. Inside, create a File COP
3. copy / past the path found in materials created by houdini, something like this .fbm/xxxxx.png
4. export with a ROP File Output

You must do this for each texture map, diffuse, bump / normal etc …
So it could be a lot of work for a complex model. A python script would be useful to do this automatically.
Edited by fsimerey - March 5, 2020 07:37:55

Attachments:
extract_FBX_textureMap.png (796.2 KB)

• Quick Links