select by normal theory in viewport ??

1543   2   2
4 posts
$$ plz somebody explain me the mechanism behind selection by normal in viewport without using group SOP

**in case of static reference normal - what is it means ? is it considering view direction as static reference normal or is it normal of selected component ??

**I get the point behind selection by normal in group SOP but in viewport selection it is bugging me .

**mechanism behind 1.Select All Matching Normals 2.Use Static Reference Normal
Edited by kreativ.atisuto - March 6, 2020 00:54:00

Attachments:
Annotation 2020-03-06 111101.png (135.1 KB)

8555 posts
kreativ.atisuto
**in case of static reference normal - what is it means ? is it considering view direction as static reference normal or is it normal of selected component ??
normal of selected component

to me it looks like

- Static Reference Normal: OFF, Select All Matching Normals: OFF
will iteratively expand selection from selected element to neighbouring elements within Spread Angle from the normals of the elements from previous iteration until no more neighbouring elements satisfy that condition

- Static Reference Normal: ON, Select All Matching Normals: OFF
will iteratively expand selection from selected element to neighbouring elements within Spread Angle from the selected element's normal until no more neighbouring elements satisfy that condition

- Static Reference Normal: OFF, Select All Matching Normals: ON
will iteratively expand selection from all elements that have the same normal direction as selected element to neighbouring elements within Spread Angle from the normals of the elements from previous iteration until no more neighbouring elements satisfy that condition

- Static Reference Normal: ON, Select All Matching Normals: ON
will iteratively expand selection from all elements that have the same normal direction as selected element to neighbouring elements within Spread Angle from the selected element's normal until no more neighbouring elements satisfy that condition
Edited by tamte - March 6, 2020 01:19:51
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
4 posts
tamte
hing Normals: OF
couldn't agree more but don't you think it's too complicated operation behind the scene … I also had same kind of intuition about the theory u answered.
thank you
  • Quick Links