Intersect_all issue

1532   5   1
14 posts
Hi,

I'm trying to reproduce this effect in Houdini. It is basically a wire wrapped around a circle that produces an image.

I've made a huge amount of lines around a circle and, in the middle, a “picture” object (tiny boxes).

Now I'm trying to eliminate the lines that don't exceed a certain number of collisions with the boxes. The result is not what I expected and I think I'm doing something wrong/stupid. Any idea ?

here's my collision VOP :

Edited by Nikos_prinio - March 8, 2020 03:29:35
Nikos Priniotakis
Heritage, visualisation and 3D modeling
Cergy Paris University
142 posts
Post your file, please
Maybe this helps.
https://forums.odforce.net/topic/44211-sketch-and-etch-style/ [forums.odforce.net]
14 posts
Sure ! and thanks for the link!

Attachments:
wire_to_pic.hipnc (460.3 KB)

Nikos Priniotakis
Cergy Paris University
14 posts
Hi,

Here, I made a small VEX test to try to get something out of the intersect_all function but I don't get any hit…

Has someone a tip to help me ? Thanks a ton !

Attachments:
wire_to_pic.hipnc (511.6 KB)
screen.png (1.2 MB)

Nikos Priniotakis
Cergy Paris University
479 posts
Hi,

here are some ideas:

Use a circle (or what ever) to draw curves between a random selection of positions. There are many ways how you can do this, but one approach can be using the start/end points, which are on the circle. To get curved lines you can use additionally at least one more point, which is also on the circle (randomly distributed).

When you have the lines you can apply a texture to get the colors for each point of each line.
This color can be converted to black/white if necessary.

This color can be used to calculate a radius attribute to use polywire for example.

Here is an example, but polywire takes alot of time, there are probably faster solutions.

Attachments:
circle_connectionsA.hipnc (250.8 KB)

14 posts
Whoa ! That's a huge help ! Thank you so much! I've sooo many things to learn from your file !!
Nikos Priniotakis
Cergy Paris University
  • Quick Links