how do I cut these polygons with edge loop?

6087   5   0
320 posts
on the attached picture I want to cut the side, front and rear polygons with edge loop? it keeps angling up and wanting to connect to the upper front polygon instead of lower front as indicted by blue line. I know I can use poly split but I have to manually cut the front and rear polys where as edge loop does it.

Attachments:
cutting polys.png (161.5 KB)

555 posts
clip then fuse ?

yes I know it might be a bit silly but I'm not sure if you're asking as in manually modelling in the viewport..or don't care…just get the job done…or what….
340 posts
Clip is the equivalent of planar cut, but can also be used to clip bottom or top (or right or left) part of model. Here are the differences between this and a loop cut: (see below)

Better than either would be to do a polyextrude on the bottom faces and an edit to slide the front edge back a bit (you could do this with a polyextrude with transform front option or a polyextrude and edit node). This will avoid the triangle caused by a clip.
Edited by Island - April 26, 2020 01:18:42

Attachments:
PlanarCut.jpg (69.9 KB)
PlanarCut.hiplc (94.1 KB)

40 posts
Knife sop can do it too.

Y origine set on the min of your mesh, then distance to set the height of this cut.

Attachments:
2020-04-26_114252.jpg (90.6 KB)

320 posts
Thank you everyone for suggestions. got focused on one method (edge loop) I forgot about knife tool, that looks like it might be best to go with. still learning Houdini after 2 1/2 years.
340 posts
If you do go with the clip or knife tool, you can fix the triangles with an edgecut node set to connect points.
  • Quick Links