Showing the TOP status icon at the container HDA node level

6112   12   2
61 posts
I have a TOP Network inside a SOP HDA, whose cook controls I promoted to the HDA interface. I can control it from there, but in order to see its cook progress I need to go inside. Is there a way of promoting the TOP status icon to the level of the HDA node, similar to how it displays for the TOP Geometry SOP?
Staff
585 posts
It's currently not possible to do that since the badge is only rendered on the TOP nodes. The TOP Geometry SOP is a special case that only works because that node contains a TOP graph. I've logged an RFE for promoting the badge to a container node though, since it'd be a useful feature for cases like the one you described.
61 posts
Thank you!
133 posts
I, too, am for this! I brought this up as well.
Francisco Rodriguez
Effects Animator | Walt Disney Animation Studios
133 posts
Another thing you can do is to pop up a window that centers itself on the TOP you want the user to focus on. This way, you get the neat little dots lighting up, in addition to the badges, without having the need to dive in. You can also promote the View Task Graph functionality.

Lots of ways to monitor! But, I agree with the badge idea. That's really all I care about when I'm in the thick of it.
Francisco Rodriguez
Effects Animator | Walt Disney Animation Studios
5 posts
I too would love to use this feature! Any updates on the previous authors so far?
17 posts
Hi!

In the next H18 daily build, any node with the parameter “targettopnetwork” will use that parameter and display the progress and counts for the network referenced by it.

In addition to that, the “Node Properties” tab in the parameter interface editor will have a new group of parameters. This group has a operator path (for the “targettopnetwork” parm) and cook control buttons.

You'll be able to simply add this group of parameters, set the target top network node and you'll have cook controls and progress information.

- Joab
62 posts
That is super useful, thanks a lot!
Philipp B. | Houdini TD @ Axis Studios
24 posts
Hi guys,
So I have successfully used the “targettopnetwork” and related parms to run a network inside my HDA.

I get a status badge showing, but it does not interactively update unless I hover the mouse over a node.
Once the job is finished, it does update to the tick icon.

Is there a way to get it to continuously update at the /obj level as it does in TOPS?

Many thanks,
Matt.
17 posts
Hi,

This sounds like a bug, I believe this is happening because even though the node is drawing the TOP badge, its drawing is still triggered only by events relevant to that node. I'll have a look at this and keep you posted.

Thanks,
Joab
24 posts
Many thanks Joab!
17 posts
This should be fixed in the next daily build now, please let me know if you still have issues with it.
24 posts
Wow Joab!
That was quick.
As usual - amazing support and responses from SideFX.

Thank you!
Matt.
  • Quick Links