Option to Auto Expand prims in Scene Graph Details pane?

1526   5   1
240 posts
Is there an option somewhere to enable auto-expanding of primitives inside the Scene Graph Details' Tree View? Personally I am usually only inspecting 1-2 items at a time and I'm constantly clicking the expand button to see the attributes for my selection. Hoping there is a way to have my selection auto-expand to save me the trouble. Basically I just want to click on a prim in the Scene Graph and see its attributes immediately in the Details pane, without having to first expand the prim in said Details pane.
- Tim Crowson
Technical/CG Supervisor
7815 posts
It used to always be expanded. The default state changed to collapsed at some point, perhaps for performance reasons? I too find it incredibly tedious to compare which set of attributes a pair of prims have in common, since you have to expand the details every time the prim selection is changed.

I think a good compromise would be to remember the expansion state when changing the primitive selection.
Staff
4450 posts
There have been a number of fixes to the scene graph details pane recently. Please try a newer build. For example, the first primitive should always be expanded. We don't auto-expand all primitives because that could be pointlessly expensive if you select a bunch of primitives (maybe you aren't selecting the prims to look at them in the scene graph details, but to perform some viewport operation on them - Houdini doesn't know that and so still has to populate the scene graph details tree, and we don't want to spend a long time doing that).
240 posts
Sweet. Yeah that makes total sense, I wouldn't want a ton of prims being expanded in that view either. I'm on 0.391 at the moment for RS compatibility purposes. Will try a more recent build as soon as I can. Thanks!
- Tim Crowson
Technical/CG Supervisor
7815 posts
mtucker
There have been a number of fixes to the scene graph details pane recently. Please try a newer build. For example, the first primitive should always be expanded. We don't auto-expand all primitives because that could be pointlessly expensive if you select a bunch of primitives (maybe you aren't selecting the prims to look at them in the scene graph details, but to perform some viewport operation on them - Houdini doesn't know that and so still has to populate the scene graph details tree, and we don't want to spend a long time doing that).

I just got 460 installed. It looks like this issue is resolved as far as always showing collapsed prims.

I didn't realize it showed details for more than one prim at a time. That makes sense to keep the additional prims collapsed.
240 posts
Yeah this is working fine in 460. Nice!
- Tim Crowson
Technical/CG Supervisor
  • Quick Links