show points of only selected objects

1937   5   1
411 posts
Is there a way to show the points of only the current selected object or guide ? When I activate “display points” I get a blue mist bacause all the points in the scene are shown.

I've been searching and all I can find is disabling “follow selection mask” for guides in the display options. But that doesn't seem to make any difference.

I said it before and I'll say it again; the viewport in Houdini really needs some attention.

Thanks,

R.
Staff
5158 posts
You can dive into the object and then display points, and it'll only draw points on that object.
1755 posts
twod
You can dive into the object and then display points, and it'll only draw points on that object.
that's what he's doing.
his problem is related to a more general Houdini flaw, which is related to group sops or nodes that work with groups (of which there are many).
if group sops had a bunch of features like buttons:
- add to group
- remove from group
- refresh group (based on the current selection of elements)
it would facilitate working with selections of various elements downstream and not only.
the current string of numbers is an affront to human readability and interactivity.
in the op's case, one could place a visibility node at the beginning of a grooming network and work with that without having to create new visibility nodes. but the gains would be extended much more beyond grooming.
411 posts
Diving into the object with “hide” or “ghost other objects” might work in most cases for polygon geo. But I'm trying to edit a hair groom, and that's extremely frustrating when you see this even when a single strand is selected. So far I've not found a way to hide the points of the unselected guides.

And when I try to solve this by selecting a guide and hiding the rest of the groom, I get a fresh new “visibility” node that screws up the node tree. As I pointed out in another thread.

Procedural modeling is nice I suppose, but not when you spend a lot of the time fighting the node tree.

R.

Attachments:
groomgrab.jpg (205.6 KB)

Staff
5158 posts
If the guides are in the same object, you can set points (and many of the markers) to appear only when its element is selected:

Attachments:
visible_only.png (69.4 KB)

411 posts
twod
If the guides are in the same object, you can set points (and many of the markers) to appear only when its element is selected:

Thanks Ren, that makes it a bit better.

Is there also a way to show the corresponding guides and/or hulls when in points mode ?

Cheers,

R.
Edited by toonafish - May 29, 2020 12:33:03
  • Quick Links