Implementing texture bombing

2376   4   2
2 posts
Hi, searching for this feature i found a code from Oliver Markowski in this video https://vimeo.com/351408169 [vimeo.com]

I'm slowly moving from maya so i'm kind of newbie, which is the right way to use this code? Must be vcc compiled? Or i can use it inside a vop? I've just tried both with no luck!

I share here the code, could be helpful for someone else, thanks!

Attachments:
tx_bomb_v0.vfl (7.7 KB)

7813 posts
The vfl is missing a shader fuction block, so it can't be compiled as is. I'm guessing it's a block of code meant to be dropped in a wrangle.
2 posts
Thank you! It's possible he included this file in another one for compilation? Looks like it in the video..
Can i achieve same result putting it in a wrangle? I tried but i suppose i have to “convert” all variables with a $ to get it work, it's right?

Thanks for your help!
255 posts
Did you finally managed to complete your wrangle?
Vincent Thomas   (VFX and Art since 1998)
Senior Env and Lighting  artist & Houdini generalist & Creative Concepts
http://fr.linkedin.com/in/vincentthomas [fr.linkedin.com]
73 posts
How did you get this vfl? Did you transcribe it directly from the video? I don't think the presenter intended for the code to be used as is, only as an example to help you write your own texture bombing asset.

To use this code, you would have to put it in a snippet VOP inside a subnetwork in the material context. This is the easy part. The hard part is figuring out all the input variables used by the snippet. Many are prefixed by an underscore (e.g. _lookupSpace, _pointsToUseOffset), but some are not (e.g. bomb_map, bomb_pts, Color, Alpha, P). Then you'll need to edit the parameter interface of your subnet to supply all these inputs, i.e. recreate the interface you see in the video (e.g. see 22:43). If you do end up wiring all this up, it looks like the code will indeed sample from a whole bunch of texture maps and spit out Color + Alpha for the current point that's being shaded.
  • Quick Links