Building Complete Shader graph in Houdini?

1885   2   0
36 posts
Hello!

Have lots of fairly simple Materials which I would like to create in Houdini instead of Unreal for automatization purposes…

I went through some tutorials and I am basically getting my materials in UE, but I am not quite sure for example, how to create:

- Base color = “Texture Map multiplied with a another color.” (Houdini only allows to assign a texture or a color. And how can I prevent unreal from multiplying the color with a vertex color node in the UE material…?)

- Other Parameters like roughness etc only work if I type in a float into actual textbox, it does not use connected nodes…

And also I am not sure if this is a bug, but as soon I start changing the reflectivity (for specular), Unreal does not use the value, instead its using the base color(??)

Cheers
Felix
2539 posts
You might be better off writing a Python script that analyzes the Houdini Materials and generates an Unreal Python script to re-create your materials inside the Unreal Editor.

Here is a basic script to start:
https://forums.unrealengine.com/development-discussion/python-scripting/1816884-solved-connect-a-texture-to-a-material [forums.unrealengine.com]

The default materials in Unreal are very basic and are not going to cover all bases.
Edited by Enivob - Nov. 2, 2020 09:38:02
Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Windows 11 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
Staff
534 posts
Hi,

We do not support full material transition from H to UE.

We do support, and try to recreate simple material, but that's basically only color/value/texture assignement to channels like diffuse, specular etc…
Even something simple like “texture map multiplied by a color” will not be translated to UE.
  • Quick Links