inexplicable vel in smokesim

1445   5   1
237 posts
Hi, have an intersting(?), annoying problem in a simple smokesim. If I activate my staticobject I become inexplicable vel in -z. Neither the base nor the VDB for the static have any vel in it. Dont know whats going on and really would appreciate any suggestions.
Thanks in advance.

Attachments:
odforce_static_-x.hip (656.1 KB)

731 posts
Not sure what you mean, I don't see anything in -Z, but you have a 2d sim so it's impossible to have any movement in Z. Is this deliberate?

Our of curiosity, why are you still using the old smoke solver and not the sparse one?
Sean Lewkiw
CG Supervisor
Machine FX - Cinesite MTL
2565 posts
Seems fine using H18.5.408. I'm not seeing any smoke escaping along the z-axis.

Attachments:
Untitled-1.jpg (131.0 KB)

Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Windows 11 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
237 posts
ok, my fault. -x, not -z. 2D cause its for this idea(mograph)enough. And the sparse solver, well I dont know. Maybe its a worse habit if I play arroung for R&D?… But the problem still goes on. Dont find the solution. Just deactivate the static object and youll see…
edit: tried it with the sparse solver couple of min ago. Dont get the swirly look as before.
Edited by Follyx - Dec. 7, 2020 09:23:45
731 posts
Okay, that makes sense. Not sure why this is happening, but if you change your “Operation” for v in the Volume source to “pull” and scale it to 50 the effect seems to go away. (Turns out sparse solves don't work for 2d sims anyway.)
Sean Lewkiw
CG Supervisor
Machine FX - Cinesite MTL
237 posts
great. New playground. Best Results with activated direction strenth and let the scale on 20.
But would be good to know why the problem with the -x is behave like it does with the activated static object…
The Funny thing: if I put a standard font letter as source or another object it behaves at expected. Also checked the source for the volume (the “SK”) but there is no vel at all in it…
Edited by Follyx - Dec. 7, 2020 09:40:32
  • Quick Links