Side fx PDG tutorial - problem

2140   3   1
22 posts
Hello,

I am currently doing the beginner PDG tutorial here:

https://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini/tops/tutorial_pdgfxworkflow.html [www.sidefx.com]

I am at the part where I need to cook the “ROP Geometry output”. When I Generate and Cook that top node, it just hangs on the first work items and nothing gets cooked.

The tutorial tells me to point to the “/obj/smoke_src/create_density_volume” in the SOP path of the Rop geometry output top.
This seems very strange to me because shouldn't this be pointing to an actual file cache in SOPS? Is there a file cache built in this top node ?

I will attach my file for anyone that wants to take a look.

Thanks

Attachments:
rop_geo_not_cooking.jpg (108.0 KB)

Staff
585 posts
Yes, it is correct for the SOP path to point to /obj/smoke_src/create_density_volume. The ROP Geometry Output node contains a Geometry ROP that gets cooked by each PDG work item in the node, which writes the geometry from a SOP network to disk.

Regarding the hang – the ROP Fetch, ROP Geometry, etc in TOPs run out of process. The fact that the dots are bright green means the scheduler spawned the worker processes for those work items and is waiting on them complete. In your process manager, you should see a matching number of hython processes for each running work item. Do they appear to be stuck (0% CPU usage)?
Edited by tpetrick - Aug. 7, 2020 10:40:40
22 posts
tpetrick
Regarding the hang – the ROP Fetch, ROP Geometry, etc in TOPs run out of process. The fact that the dots are bright green means the scheduler spawned the worker processes for those work items and is waiting on them complete. In your process manager, you should see a matching number of hython processes for each running work item. Do they appear to be stuck (0% CPU usage)?

When I take a look at the process manager, i see that all the “hython” process are either stuck at 0% or 0.1%. Every few seconds each process will turn to 0.1% then immediately switch back down to 0 %.

I will attach a screenshot for you

Thank you

Attachments:
task_manager_1.jpg (216.2 KB)

140 posts
Did you ever figure this out, and is there any other instrumentation on PDG workflows that would allow us to debug issues like this?
  • Quick Links