Houdini Unreal Engine USD export animation sequence

2807   6   1
61 posts
Hi everyone

Im trying to export a USD sequence to Unreal engine and I am just failing to

I have tried flattening the stage, sperataing the layers etc... nothing works in Unreal

It only works in Unreal when I import a single frame

Does anyone know how to do this

Thank you

Attachments:
Screenshot (1060).png (232.2 KB)

7789 posts
take out the frame number expression in the file name.
61 posts
jsmack
take out the frame number expression in the file name.

Hi jsmack

Thasnk ou for your thought

I did remove the $F in the filename during my tests and sometimes it produces 1 big file, which Unreal simply doesnt load

When I import this same usd file without the $F in houdini using an import USD node, when I scrub through the timeline, the fll geometry doesnt show, its only when I turn on display bounding box on the USD import node that I can see something is happening and changing with the bounding box, but the full geometry does not show

Thanks
7789 posts
henrythejedi
When I import this same usd file without the $F in houdini using an import USD node, when I scrub through the timeline, the fll geometry doesnt show, its only when I turn on display bounding box on the USD import node that I can see something is happening and changing with the bounding box, but the full geometry does not show

Import USD node? you mean the sublayer LOP? If it doesn't show up when read back into lops, there must be something funky with the scene.
61 posts
jsmack
henrythejedi

Import USD node? you mean the sublayer LOP? If it doesn't show up when read back into lops, there must be something funky with the scene.

Hi jsmack

Is there any workflow on how to do this, the expprting of usd sequence to something like unreal engine
Most tutorials out there all focus on exporting a single frame

Thank you
7789 posts
By usd sequence, do you mean a usd that contains animation, or a sequence of usd files that each contain a single frame?
Usually you want the former since there's not really any way to use the latter without a usd stitch clips operation to merge it into a single file, or by using the convoluted usd operation to create value clips.

If you really want the latter though, the USD ROP needs "Flush data after each frame" enabled.

Neither of these options explain why your setup isn't reading back as expected when written as a single file. The screenshot shows a bunch of configure layers with file paths that don't contain frame numbers, so putting a per-frame token and writing out a sequence of frames from the rop might not work as expected. You'll get a file per frame from the top most layer, all layering in the same set of layers.

If possible post a scene file demonstrating the problem.
61 posts
jsmack
By usd sequence, do you mean a usd that contains animation, or a sequence of usd files that each contain a single frame?
Usually you want the former since there's not really any way to use the latter without a usd stitch clips operation to merge it into a single file, or by using the convoluted usd operation to create value clips.

If you really want the latter though, the USD ROP needs "Flush data after each frame" enabled.

Neither of these options explain why your setup isn't reading back as expected when written as a single file. The screenshot shows a bunch of configure layers with file paths that don't contain frame numbers, so putting a per-frame token and writing out a sequence of frames from the rop might not work as expected. You'll get a file per frame from the top most layer, all layering in the same set of layers.

If possible post a scene file demonstrating the problem.

Hi jsmack

Thank you so much for your responses

I have attached the scene file here

Thank you
Edited by henrythejedi - April 24, 2021 12:53:00
  • Quick Links