Cookie SOP weirdness

5267   7   3
252 posts
Sometimes when I use the Cookie SOP it seems to do some weird things. Like I have to have Inside and Outside “B” (or A) both “checked” on to see the result, but both are put into one group. Unchecking either results in the surface disappearing. I can clearly see the demarkation where one is separated from the other like the Cookie should do, but they are joined into one group when I look at the SOP info (0 polys in one group, the rest in the other). No amount of jitter or anything will fix this.

This seems to happen when I do a Cookie on something that was the result of a previous Cookie. (Perhaps it happens other times, but in this example it seems to be the case).

Any ideas?

-Craig
2199 posts
You'll probably find that although it looks like you can see the join somewhere along it is a tiny break. Might be worth using a fuse between cookies that often helps. If not try moving the cutting object very slightly.
The trick is finding just the right hammer for every screw
252 posts
It cuts one of the objects fine, and the other one seems cut, but both parts of it show up in one Group, but with an obvious seam where the cut is.

I tried a Facet SOP with “Consolidate Points” on at a higher than default level, instead of a Fuse. I figured that should work.

It seems more like a bug.

-Craig
2199 posts
I'd still be highly suspicious of the fact that it had completely cut everything. It only takes a microscopic break for the whole thing to fail.
I'd try sending the file to Sesi and see what they say. Cookies are notoriously fiddly so any examples they can use to improve it the better.
Do you have the pre-convex toggle on? that helps alot, although it can make a mess of your geometry by turning everything into triangles.

I've never seen it cut but not make the groups - unless its a newly introduced error, it has always turned out to be an error in the geometry or coincident points between the cutter and the dough.
50 posts
I have seen somthing like this before, try reversing normals on one or the other or both, also be sure the cookie is disecting the object completely and there is a clear A/B side and the geo isn't coming backaround making contact.
“Don't just look for what you think you will find”

-That CSI guy
7754 posts
In case no one's noticed, I would like to point out that Cookie can only cut a chunk of geometry at a time. If you try to make it cut through multiple pieces, it will inevitably fail.
2199 posts
You mean it can't do this????

Attachments:
multi_cookie.hipnc (142.7 KB)

7754 posts
Yes. It'll work for various cases but don't expect it to work reliably.
  • Quick Links