Vertex Animation Textures ROP 2.1 Released

110080   95   23
172 posts
MaiAo
deviner
Hi, I'm trying to do a test with a simple box but unreal freaks out.
I'm using H18.5.598 Indie + Unreal 4.25.4
The scene and the cache inside the archive.
It only breaks with the "soft (constant topology) method. The "rigid" is fine.

Also, only "Set VAT Textures" script works for me.

Houdini view vs Unreal view

Unfortunately I can't reproduce the issue. But unlike what's in the screenshot, the pos min/max I am getting from your file is -54.59509 and 43.37052. Also have you tried using the MF_VAT_Soft from our content plugin (accessible on the VAT ROP interface via a button).
Thanks, it was my mistake, all good now
I contribute to the beauty of this world
14 posts
Hey everyone,

is there a way to add a tangent normal map in ue4?
I tried to convert the outcoming World Space normal into tangent space and then use BlendAngleCorrectedNormals.
But as my object rotates it also rotates the tangent space somehow.
Staff
99 posts
ThomasSpaceflower
Hey everyone,

I tried to convert the outcoming World Space normal into tangent space and then use BlendAngleCorrectedNormals.

Good question. The answer is yes. Please check the forum again tomorrow.
Mai Ao
Senior Technical Lead of SideFX Labs
youtube.com/@notverydarkmagic
Staff
99 posts
ThomasSpaceflower
Hey everyone,

Can you PM me? I have the setup you need.
Mai Ao
2 posts
MaiAo,
Do you know how could I solve this issue with my normals: these black flickering triangles? I tried a bunch of different things, different grid sizes, export types, but all in vain. They are fine in houdini, but unity is like the video below.
Edited by rffaguiar - June 23, 2021 11:16:34

Attachments:
vat-issue-normals.mp4 (12.4 MB)
vat.hiplc (3.0 MB)

:)
1 posts
Hey Mike, what would be a good solution to fix the offset on frame 1 like you mentioned on the video? Thanks!
Staff
99 posts
rffaguiar
MaiAo,
Do you know how could I solve this issue with my normals: these black flickering triangles? I tried a bunch of different things, different grid sizes, export types, but all in vain. They are fine in houdini, but unity is like the video below.

Could you try comparing turning on/off Normalize Data to 0-1 space and in Unity follow the Mike's video's guide on texture settings (not to presume if you have or haven't done so )? Another thing you can try is copy Normal to Cd and export color map. Turn off lighting in the viewport and see if you get flickers.
Mai Ao
2 posts
MaiAo
rffaguiar
MaiAo,

Could you try comparing turning on/off Normalize Data to 0-1 space and in Unity follow the Mike's video's guide on texture settings (not to presume if you have or haven't done so )? Another thing you can try is copy Normal to Cd and export color map. Turn off lighting in the viewport and see if you get flickers.

Thanks Maiao. Yeah, the textures I was following Mike's videos already! So what worked for me was...

on Houdini:
1 - ON Normalize data to 0-1
2 - OFF Pack normals into Position Alpha

on Unity:
1 - OFF Pack normals
:)
33 posts
Hello everyone,
I'm having a hardtime with the VAT ROP. After I render the rbd simulation. When I dive into the tool to debug, pieces are off from the original rbd sim. I've tried to follow the tutorial step by step and tried different version of Houdini 18.5.??? but non worked. I've attached the hip file.Thanks everyone.

Solved

I've used the dop network instead of rbd sop solver and it works as it should. I've tried to output attributes from the rbd sop solver but error pops up.

thanks everyone
Edited by seeplus - July 6, 2021 02:57:35

Attachments:
VAT_rbd_issue.hip (3.1 MB)
vat_issue.jpg (101.9 KB)

43 posts
I downloaded your file and saw the same error. After some poking around, it went away while toggling the "Normalize data range to 0-1 space" checkbox on the Labs Vertex Animation Textures node. I turned it off and on, and reran the Labs VAT ROP node. I did not note the exact steps, sorry.
75 posts
Firstly I want to thank you for your hard work and amazing dedication. However one thing I would like to see is some kind of a fall back setup interstated with UE the way UE has the Max script VAT tools are sometimes a fall back for me. I Sim in Houdini then export from max. I love the Houdini tools as it’s my primary tool but they seem to break in UE often. It’s amazing but it’s always feeling experimental. Or am I missing something?
- “spooky action at a distance”. Albert Einstein
5 posts
Hi All,
I finally got VAT 2.1 to work with the animation. VAT 3.0 just didn't work for me. However, when I export the SideFX pig model with a basic vertex animation for a soft (constant topology) export. I also get to export the colour map too. I expected this map to be something like the texture from the pig itself. But I got a rainbow coloured texture instead. Upon importing this texture into UE4 I get that rainbow colour on the pig. When I apply another texture to it, the texture distorts extremely. Applying just a colour does work.
The reason why I would like to use a texture for it, is to have a brick wall, ripple like water.

Am I doing something work with the export, or do i need to hookup the correct pig texture somewhere in the material (instance) node system?
Thanks in advance
Edited by MarcoMeeuwse - Aug. 23, 2021 09:06:48
5 posts
Also, does VAT supports animation like triangle prims with (p)scale?. I've tried the soft, and fluid settings. When render it and double click the VAT node I don't a preview and importing it into UE4 with given instructions from video on first page does not give the desired results. Also tried rigid settings, but it does not render. Even with packed geo.
The animation looks like these triangles are scaling from 0 to 1 to form a shape
Edited by MarcoMeeuwse - Aug. 23, 2021 10:43:20

Attachments:
Animation still.png (75.6 KB)

2 posts
As its seen in video. have found a problem with VAT in Foliage and dont really get whats wrong.
its working great in static mesh and the same mesh is not working in foliage.
I've tested several settings with latest update of pluging and engine, but no changes.

Attachments:
VAT_Foliage.mkv (5.6 MB)

2 posts
Hello

As I've tested it several times and its shown in attachment

VAT3 doesnt work good with foliage

VAT2.* and the legacy method are ok with foliage

just wanted to report if it is able to fix in new update

Image Not Found

Attachments:
VAT_Foliage.mkv (5.6 MB)

1 posts
Hello, I have met a problem for three days and STILL don't have any clue. If you see it, please give me an answer. My problem is that in the sideFx lads vertexTexture the software needs to set loD, but it always tells me that I lack loD and need to set it to LOd #, I don't know what I'm wrong with.This may be a simple question, I hope someone can help me with this question, thank you
Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Attachments:
001.png (1.2 MB)
002.png (956.2 KB)

• Quick Links