Simple Vop Question

1249   3   1
4 posts
I have points from a sphere and I am trying to scale them outward or inward, if I want to do them all at once, it works as expected, I multiply the position by a constant and it works great. However, if do something like ptnum/numpt and use fit to change the range then multiple that by the position vector, the points start moving not outward or inward but in strange direction. I am coming from Softimage ICE, and the pieces in VOP look very similar but I am having trouble reproducing something that should be very trivial.

Same thing happens if I multiple the postion by aanoise,

thanks
731 posts
Are you sure you have the aanoise set to vector and not float type? As for the other problem, a hip file would help.
Sean Lewkiw
CG Supervisor
Machine FX - Cinesite MTL
4 posts
It took me forever to figure it out (which is the reason I waited so long to learn a new program), but I was using a sphere for points and a facet for the normals and a cylinder for the shape for the points. The orientation was the thing getting out of whack, it just looked like it was the position. I got rid of the facet and just plugged the the position into the normals to align the points to the world center.

I will say this about my tiny experience so far. I used several kitbash (not that bad in point size) elements to spread on a low frequency sphere with just a noise added on a vop and this simple object gets slow pretty quick. I don't think this type of setup in ICE would have caused near this type of slow down, anything I can do to speed it up? Are .obj imported objects inherently Slower than the equivalent of something built in Houdini?

thanks
131 posts
Try Pack-ing your geometry prior to copying (Or use Pack Inputs on Copy to Points SOP). If modification of kitbashed geometry is not immediately needed this should speed up your workflow.
  • Quick Links