Ocio configuration

7212   10   4
15 posts
Hello,
Do i have still have on the 18.5 to modify my .env for the ocio to work? or i can grab a ocio configuration somewhere?
i see that in display option i have the chance to do so, but i don't know where to get the correct configuration file.

Especially as my render look washed out both in the ipr and the actual render

Thank you
Edited by hidalgo884 - Nov. 7, 2020 11:23:30
7794 posts
hidalgo884
Do i have still have on the 18.5 to modify my .env for the ocio to work?

The environment Houdini inherits must have OCIO evaluate to a valid config file. Using the houdini.env is one way to modify Houdini's environment, but not the only way.

hidalgo884
or i can grab a ocio configuration somewhere?
i see that in display option i have the chance to do so, but i don't know where to get the correct configuration file.

You can use any valid industry standard OCIO profile. There are some publicly available ones on github for supporting the ACES working space and others.
Edited by jsmack - Nov. 7, 2020 17:45:12
861 posts
http://github.com/imageworks/OpenColorIO-Configs/zipball/master [github.com]

and then set a variable called OCIO to for example whereverthisis/OCIO/imageworks-OpenColorIO-Configs-0bb079c/aces_1.0.3/config.ocio

Houdini will pick it up automatically then, but you may have to choose it in the display in that little downpointing arrow menu thing.
Edited by Soothsayer - Nov. 8, 2020 09:58:54
--
Jobless
289 posts
In 18.5, can't you set the path to the OCIO config from the “Color Settings” menu, instead of needing an environment variable?
2 posts
Everything above is done, and still nothing. Any idea what to try next?

Attachments:
ocio problem.PNG (643.7 KB)

Staff
5161 posts
You can't put OCIO in the houdini.env file because it's actually an OpenColorIO library environment variable, not a Houdini environment variable.
359 posts
Since you're on Windows, the easiest way to do this is to create a batch file that sets the OCIO variable and then immediately launches Houdini. You could set OCIO as a system-wide variable, but this can cause problems if you have to run some projects using an OCIO configuration and others without (or with a different configuration).

Add this to a batch file called "houdini_ocio.bat" or whatever, then run it:

SET OCIO=C:\Users\KataCore1\Documents\houdini18.5\aces_1.0.3\config.ocio

"C:\Program Files\Side Effects Software\Houdini 18.5.462\bin\houdinifx.exe"
MOPs (Motion Operators for Houdini): http://www.motionoperators.com [www.motionoperators.com]
7794 posts
malexander
You can't put OCIO in the houdini.env file because it's actually an OpenColorIO library environment variable, not a Houdini environment variable.

That's how I've always done it, and it works for me.
1 posts
Hello,

the houdini.env file works for me as well.

OCIO = "C:\YourPath\config.ocio"

Ideally, I would love to see an OCIO menu inside Houdini at some point to load manually a config...etc ;-)

Chris
20 posts
blahParsec
Everything above is done, and still nothing. Any idea what to try next?
It's working for us perfectly although we aren't using Indie version don't know if this makes any difference
11 posts
I'm curious if anyone else in this thread is using Octane with ACES in Houdini. My Houdini viewport is set to display ACES with an sRGB view transform, but it makes the colors much lighter than what ends up being displayed in my Octane IPR with an sRGB view transform. The final render converted in Affinity Photo looks exactly like it appeared in the Octane IPR. If I set the Houdini viewport transform to Raw it looks like it does in Octane, but clearly these should match when both are set on sRGB(?). I'm also referencing the same OCIO config file in all the apps (ACES 1.2).

Also, the color picker in Houdini (using ACES) only matches Octane when it is also set to a view transform of Raw.

Any perspective here would be appreciated!

I'm running Houdini Indie 18.5.633 and Octane 2020.2.5.0

Edit: I believe I found the issue. I was using an Octane light that was set to BlackBody which was influencing the color. Switching it to Texture makes it (mostly) match the Houdini viewport.. user error

Travis
Edited by travisrogers - Oct. 27, 2021 00:01:53

Attachments:
aces_view_srgb.png (1.0 MB)
aces_view_raw.png (1.0 MB)

• Quick Links