Cut brush - Guide Groom Removed?

2786   12   0
71 posts
Hi all,

Im testing V19. Cant seem to find a cut brush in the guide groom tool.

I wouldn't think that SESI would remove it since its very useful in the guide sculpting process. I'm sure its under a different name.

Can anyone point me to it?
Senior Groom TD @ Industrial Light & Magic - abvfx [abvfx.me]
13 posts
If i see this correctly, the "Adjust Length" tool set to strength 1 and middle mouse does the same as the cut tool before
71 posts
I just tried this, not getting the desired effect.
8582 posts
if I correctly recall how it used to work then for me the closest seems Adjust Length with following changes:
- Method: Cut/Extend
- Softness: 0
- Value: 1 (but may depend on scene scale, simply higher value to subtract faster, kept strength at 0.05)
Edited by tamte - Oct. 29, 2021 04:06:22
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
71 posts
I will try this asap. Cheers Tomas.

I might have to make another thread for it but another thing I noticed while testing is the sculpt mode.
It moves points without maintaining spacing, unless you check Conserve length.

The problem compared to the old version is in the old guide groom you could adjust the length and maintain the spacing. But now i will have to sculpt and then switch to the Resample Utility, and then apply it... this basically adds two extra steps in the process which makes the whole sculpting process a lot slower. Is this something that i need to RFE or am i missing another parameter or setting?
76 posts
tamte's settings for reproducing that mode seem to work

@abvfx but does resample utility even work for you? I get no changes by hitting 'apply' or 'sfiht+R' in viewport. I might be doing it wrong...
433 posts
Resample utility not working for me either. Re: cut brush, I set the strength to -1 and that seemed to work. Not sure how it compares to the previous behavior though. Edit: meant to say set the "value" to something less than one. Strength is 0+ only.
Edited by BrianHanke - Oct. 30, 2021 10:26:37
Subscribe to my Patreon for the best CG tips, tricks and tutorials! https://patreon.com/bhgc [patreon.com]

Twitter: https://twitter.com/brianhanke [twitter.com]
Behance: https://www.behance.net/brianhanke/projects [www.behance.net]
71 posts
citizen
tamte's settings for reproducing that mode seem to work

@abvfx but does resample utility even work for you? I get no changes by hitting 'apply' or 'sfiht+R' in viewport. I might be doing it wrong...

Cheers for the confirmation i will try it out once i get on my home system.

Resample does work for me, i selected the selected and then set the point samples and hit apply and it worked. Not sure why it isnt for you or Brian.

I will be doing more tests this weekend for sure.
76 posts
I was assuming that having nothing selected will resample all guides. But still, after selecting some guides, only Shift+R works, Apply button doesn't. (19.0.383)
Possible bugs aside, the new workflow for this particular case, if this is it, I must agree that it's a step backwards in terms of work speed. Might've been necessary for interaction speed gains, I don't know.

edit: any idea where in the hotkey manager are the Tool>'mode' entries for the guidegroom found? I prefer hotkeys to radial menus, but even that doesn't seem to work for me.
Edited by citizen - Oct. 30, 2021 09:11:26

Attachments:
groom_radial_menu.jpg (265.3 KB)

1 posts
For me it works like old Cut with the settings
- Method: Cut/Extend
- Mode: Add/Subtract
- Softness: 1
- Value: 0.1
- Strength: 1
71 posts
@RedhillGames yea depending on which mouse click you are using that just extends/reduces guides forever. It doesnt cut at the boarder of the brush. No solution does.

I've actually tried all the methods that people have suggested. And while i am grateful for the improvised setups they all fail compared to the previous version.

Not to mention that settings between different modes is not saved per mode. One set of settings placed on the Adjust Length is placed also on the Sculpt mode where applicable. IE something like softness and strength.

I think i will have to show the differences between the old guide groom sop and the new one and where is fails the user in quite a number of ways adding far more more operations to achieve the same task.

Thank you for all you efforts.
1 posts
Hey there! I was just having the same problem with the cut brush but I've found this workaround to be quite useful. Maybe it helps someone else too!

Cheers, Karo
Edited by karo - June 2, 2022 06:44:08

Attachments:
Screen Shot 2022-06-01 at 18.18.55.png (194.5 KB)

1 posts
Hi guys,

After a lot of clicking around I finally got things to work and hopefully this might help save someone some time 👍

Attachments:
BRUSH-CUT-HOUDINIpsd.jpg (601.3 KB)

• Quick Links