Arnold 7 crashes Houdini 18.5.696 at startup

2992   6   1
117 posts
Hiya.
I just got a copy for Arnold render. Working lots with clouds and volumes so was interested in the quality it delivers.
I installed Latest 18.5.696 and Arnold, however when I start Houdini it just freezes at startup.
Is it possible for me to debug this somehow? Anyone had success?
I installed the older Arnold 6.2 and it works fine so using that for now.

latest Windows 10, AMD 3990x, 256GB RAM, RTX 3090

Cheers,
Andreas
117 posts
Anyone got it working. We tested on another machine and it also does not start.
288 posts
AndreasOberg

I can only talk about arnold 7 on H19, which works fine here.
https://www.thomaskchristensen.com [www.thomaskchristensen.com]
117 posts
Thomas Klyhn Christensen
AndreasOberg

I can only talk about Arnold 7 on H19, which works fine here.

Thanks for answering Thomas. I just tried H19 and Arnold 7. Sadly it crashes for me the same way. It just freezes at the Houdini start logo. I have discussed back and forward with the Arnold team, but so far they do not understand why this happens. It also happens at a friends computer.
I have Arnold 7 working in 3ds Max fine. Arnold 6 works fine in Houdini as well.

Andreas
Edited by AndreasOberg - Oct. 29, 2021 15:31:06
710 posts
A shot in the dark but is it possible that it's running into issues with another 3rd party render engine enabled in your .env or packages?
117 posts
DaJuice
A shot in the dark but is it possible that it's running into issues with another 3rd party render engine enabled in your .env or packages?

That is a good idea, we also use Redshift and Octane, but I disabled them in the .env file and it still does not work. I also tried disabling Norton Antivirus to see if it was blocking it somehow.
The old Arnold 6.2 works fine though, so only 7 that does not start. No log output either.
We tested a cmd line and managed to start Arnold render by itself so Arnold itself was working.

Cheers
Andreas
129 posts
AndreasOberg
DaJuice

That is a good idea, we also use Redshift and Octane, but I disabled them in the .env file and it still does not work. I also tried disabling Norton Antivirus to see if it was blocking it somehow.
The old Arnold 6.2 works fine though, so only 7 that does not start. No log output either.
We tested a cmd line and managed to start Arnold render by itself so Arnold itself was working.

Cheers
Andreas

update?
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4NQi8wpYUbR9wLolfHrZVA [www.youtube.com]
  • Quick Links