HUSK: Rendering with Houdni GL

2344   3   1
15 posts
Hi,

I'm trying to render out an image sequence from a USD file using HUSK from a shell.

I can get it to work using the Karma delegate, but not GL or Houdini GL.

I'm using this cmd:

./hfs18.5.696/bin/husk --renderer "Houdini GL" --usd-input ./animTest.usd -f 1 -n 10 -o /tmp/husk.%06d.exr -r 1920 1080

Which gives me this error back:
[14:35:18] Hydra plugin HD_HoudiniRendererPlugin is not supported
[14:35:18] Unable to load render plugin: Houdini GL

I also don't see Houdini GL in the list of renderers on the USDRender lop node in Solaris.
Staff
4444 posts
The software is telling you the truth. Houdini GL is not supported by husk, so it doesn't show up in the list in the USD Render ROP.

However you can use an OpenGL ROP to render LOP scenes using Houdini GL.
15 posts
Okay, thanks for the clarification.

The main reason I want to use Houdini GL is that I have a hard time getting HUSK with Karma to render fast enough for quick previews of our stages.
A simple 100 frames 640x480 render of a rotating rubbertoy, takes over 3mins on my workstation, even in the worst rendersettings, I could come up with.
USD's usdrecord takes 4 secs for the same sequence.

Am I doing anything wrong or is there just a big overhead in rendering through HUSK?
I have attached the hip file:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lr1X7z_GImt62DQvLCccUuuqjRomIoI2/view?usp=sharing [drive.google.com]
Edited by jacobvfx - Nov. 16, 2021 05:25:31

Attachments:
karmaDelegate.hip (534.1 KB)

Staff
4175 posts
A few thoughts for ya:

• usdrender lop is doing the writing out, and then reading+rendering via husk; usdrecord is just reading the usd
  • If you turn on the "Render All Frames with a Single Process", the usdrender node will write the usd to a single file, then in one process render out frames (this is more along the lines of what usdrecord is doing)

I just tried your hip file, and when rendering all frames in a single process, my 8-core machine takes ~6s to render images to disk, and ~20s to render the 100 frames to Mplay.

Hope that helps a bit!
I'm o.d.d.
  • Quick Links