Motion blur of point instances in karma

2722   7   3
134 posts
Hi, im trying to get motion blur on instances. When I use a copy to point without packing the motion blur works, but its very heavy, when i pack the geo the motion blur stops working.

Is this a know limitation of karma?
Staff
455 posts
Hi William, do you have a hip file you can share?
134 posts
Hi, here is a simple file.

I have checked out the prebuilt karma rop setup and it seems like using the cache works. It would still be great to use velocity blur on the instances.

Attachments:
no_MB_on_packed_instances.hip (528.8 KB)

Staff
455 posts
Thanks, this is perfect. There are two different ways I immediately thought I could make this work, but neither is actually doing what I expect, so let me dig a bit deeper.
134 posts
Awesome thanks
146 posts
I stumbled today with this issue... Instance Velocity Blur doesn't seem to work as expected yet for copied packed instances done in SOP. Any news on this and recommended workflow?
Staff
455 posts
Sorry, I really dropped the ball there in terms of not following up. There isn't a great solution for native instances here. Your options are, in the Scene Import node, to either unpack the geometry or use a point instancer.
146 posts
robp_sidefx
Sorry, I really dropped the ball there in terms of not following up. There isn't a great solution for native instances here. Your options are, in the Scene Import node, to either unpack the geometry or use a point instancer.

Thanks Rob, I decided on using the Point Instancer and then I stumbled with the same color import issue into instances exposed on the other thread hehe... always learning (specially in Solaris)!
  • Quick Links