Select a node from viewport in Solaris context

1587   3   0
447 posts
In object context, when I press S and select an object, the network view automatically selects the node of that object as well. Pretty much as expected.

But in Solaris context, it doesn't work. I press S and select an object, the network view's focus doesn't change.

See the attachment. I selected "grid", Scene Graph Tree shows that it's been selected, but network view just doesn't care. Is there a way to make network view jump to the selected object?

Attachments:
Screenshot 2021-11-21 085634.png (1.0 MB)

7803 posts
raincole
See the attachment. I selected "grid", Scene Graph Tree shows that it's been selected, but network view just doesn't care. Is there a way to make network view jump to the selected object?

Nodes and scene graph objects are not explicitly interrelated the way object nodes are related to objects in the scene view. A lop graph is more like a sop network in that sense. A sop might create a sphere, and later ones move some verts and maybe add some particles. Selecting the sphere's geometry has no connection to the node that made it. The selection only represents the elements that are a result of the previous operations.

Prims created by nodes do however store metadata linking them to the creator node. This allows the rightclick->Edit Primitive menu to present the option to jump to the node that created it. I don't think there's an option to automatically jump to a particular node that touched prim on selection, but I can see how that can be problematic, as it's ambiguous which node to edit by the nature of layered edits.

Attachments:
edit_prim_jump_to_node.png (124.6 KB)

447 posts
jsmack
Nodes and scene graph objects are not explicitly interrelated the way object nodes are related to objects in the scene view. A lop graph is more like a sop network in that sense. A sop might create a sphere, and later ones move some verts and maybe add some particles. Selecting the sphere's geometry has no connection to the node that made it. The selection only represents the elements that are a result of the previous operations.

Thank you very much. I guess that makes sense... but then what's the point of selecting components in Solaris' viewport? For example, selecting prims in SOP context makes sense because we might want to edit (e.g. polyextrude) on these prims. What's the purpose of selecting in Solaris?
Edited by raincole - Nov. 20, 2021 21:13:01
1745 posts
Don't think of nodes in Lops like nodes in /obj. They're more like Sops in that each node represents an operation rather than an object. Like Sops, some nodes make things, some nodes modify things. But while Sops is ultimately dealing with points and polys, Lops is dealing with hierarchies of objects, lights, cameras, materials.

That means that like Sops, what you see and select in the viewport is based on what node has the display flag enabled. And also like Sops, any edit operations you do will (usually) be appended after the displayed node.
http://www.tokeru.com/cgwiki [www.tokeru.com]
https://www.patreon.com/mattestela [www.patreon.com]
  • Quick Links