Why is the UV not aligned correctly?

1262   4   0
12 posts
New to Houdini, learning some basics. I'm trying to wrap a tube with a texture using uvtexture and it's not wrapped correctly and I'm not sure why?

Also, it seems to be projected from inside the tube, how can I flip it to be projected from the outside? I tried changing the scale but nothing happened.
Edited by bibbinator - Jan. 8, 2022 05:27:44

Attachments:
Screen Shot 2022-01-08 at 11.17.08 AM.png (2.5 MB)

12 posts
Trying various different things, it seems if I set the Tube's Primitive Type property to Mesh it then works as expected (perfectly sized texture mapped with correct tiling at seam).

I checked the doc and no explanation I can find on primitive types and the differences. What is Mesh doing that Primitive isn't?
7801 posts
bibbinator
Trying various different things, it seems if I set the Tube's Primitive Type property to Mesh it then works as expected (perfectly sized texture mapped with correct tiling at seam).

It's working correctly with a polygon tube as well, as long as 'Fix boundary seams' is enabled.

To flip the projection right side out, use the scale and offset parameters of the uvtexture node. (scale -1.0 and offset 1.0, both on in X)
340 posts
UV texture is a useful node if one is starting with something like a line. I find it fairly limited for most models, as there are only 10 options, and most models won't fit one of these unless they are very simple. (Add caps to your tube, for instance, and it will not give you a good map). For models and primitives, I would start with a UV flatten node. (This is very similar to two of the best UV unwrapping programs in the market: Rizome UV and 3DCoat.) Click the "seams" and make edge selections/loops. It is more versatile and generally a better starting point. In your case, just click one of the vertical edges as a seam. You will get a perfect rectangular UV map. You can add a UV layout, uv transform, or UV edit node afterwards to scale this.
Edited by Island - Jan. 9, 2022 17:10:35

Attachments:
UVflatten.jpg (307.4 KB)

12 posts
Thanks jsmack and Island for taking time to reply. Very useful. Cheers
  • Quick Links