RBD Bound object

1032   3   1
412 posts
I'm using a Bounding sphere to start a RBD simulation to control where the fractured object starts breaking up.

This works perfect as far as that the sim starts as soon as the Bound object hits the fractured simulated object. But the problem is that the sim stops as soon as the simulated fractured pieces moves ​outside the Bounding Sphere radius.

Is there a way to start the simulation as soon as a Bounding object hits a fractured piece , but have it continue even when it leaves the interior of the bounding object ? I tried all kinds of settings in the Bullet Solver, but no luck so far.

Thanks,

R.
423 posts
Similar to this?

https://forums.odforce.net/topic/48621-rbd-hold-active-attribute/?tab=comments#comment-224155 [forums.odforce.net]
412 posts
Yes, great !

I ran into similar examples but I this one I missed.

I need to buy a bigger brain I suspect, there's so many different ways to skin a simulation in Houdini it seems, RBD solvers, POP solvers, SOP solvers etc. etc.

As far as I understand so far, is that all I needed to do is set the "active "attribute to ON or 1 at the end of the sim. But no luck so far with attribute transfers and such in the bullet and popsolver.

But it looks like this saves my day.

Thanks.

R.
412 posts
Been fiddling with this setup for a while now, and it basically works as in that the pieces stay active once the bounding object has activated them.

But the frustrating thing is that as soon as one tries to "merge" the simulated parts as a separate group into another Geo SOP or Blast them after the sopsolver simulation, you're back to square one, and only the parts that are inside the Bounding object are imported or blasted.

Very strange, one would expect the "active" group to be accessible, but no such luck. Maybe a setting or attribute that needs to be toggled or activated ?
Edited by toonafish - Jan. 13, 2022 13:28:00
  • Quick Links