kinefx: visualize & modify fbx existing keyframes and curves

2332   9   2
129 posts
Hello guys, I have a question about kinefx. When I import an fbx animated character, how can I see and edit its joints existing keyframes and animation curves ? I'm looking into rig pose, motion clip extract, etc. but I can't find a solution.
I want to edit the animation curves/keyframes manually, like when you import the fbx with file/import (video sample here https://streamable.com/9n1450)
Thank you

Ray
Edited by madrenderman - Jan. 26, 2022 05:40:04

Attachments:
272751699_10224091420185306_9149982294333299620_n.jpg (137.1 KB)

81 posts
Hi Ray

When you insert a Rig Pose node after the 'joints'-null, you can press 'bake'. It will generate stashed animation curves for you. The motionclips stash geometric animation snapshots in one node, so not what you are after here, it seems.
129 posts
Thank you for your reply, yes I tried the bake but it bakes frame by frame the animation, it doesn't show and make editable the actual keyframes. Probably it's a limitation of kinefx and it's not possible to edit the fbx keyframes ...
Edited by madrenderman - Jan. 28, 2022 09:31:30
81 posts
Yes, it definitely is, I do it all the time. When I open the animation editor with the Rig Pose selected, I see all the curves and can edit them. Maybe you can provide an example?
129 posts
I just download any animation from mixamo, import it in Houdini with fbx anim import (or fbx char import), connect a rig pose, press enter, the joints are visible. Then open the anim editor, no curve or keyframe is present.
If you animate the rig pose or bake the existing animation then you can see the curves and keyframes. Otherwise I don't see them
81 posts
When you connect that rig pose, press 'bake' in it's parameter window. That will generate those curves you are after
129 posts
I don't want to bake the animation. I want to edit the existing keyframes. If I bake them, I will have a keyframe for every frame, not the original animation.
81 posts
You will always get keyframes per frame through this route. But you will get the animation. If you want to animate the animation data in the fbx as is, you might better want to import the fbx at object level and edit it there.
129 posts
yes exactly, I think it's a limitation of kinefx, but I wanted to be sure
81 posts
Well, to me it makes sense, from a kinefx-standpoint. The underlying methodology is the reason why it processes animdata this way, and generates huge benefits hereafter
  • Quick Links