Is Houdini capable of doing this?

2924   6   1
2 posts
I want to start learning Houdini and my goal is to create 3d model in the style of these picture(I acknowledged theese pictures is not a 3d model and generated by AI) I don't need it to be exactly or must be create in the same way as author. As a sculptor I love to explore on a way to create any 3d form in space just love this style of computer generated and I think houdini seem to be the best into doing this rather than manually sculpt by hand, Rightnow I'm not sure it is capable and what topics I should learn or looking into?

I has grasp the idea of procedural modeling with parameter adjusting but have no idea about how to do this, Analized from the picture there must be some rules to populate and grow the geometry.

Edited by kittinzaa - Feb. 12, 2022 01:48:38

Attachments:
FLLkiK6XsAkfSaL.jpg (245.6 KB)
FLQaVWbXEAELwyh.jpg (244.4 KB)
FLMExK6XEAIP4eU.jpg (252.5 KB)

7808 posts
Those aren't modelled, they're generated using neural networks. You could use them as 'inspiration', but they're not representative of anything that could be modelled any more than an abstract doodle or painting.
2 posts
jsmack
Those aren't modelled, they're generated using neural networks. You could use them as 'inspiration', but they're not representative of anything that could be modelled any more than an abstract doodle or painting.

I known the picture is AI generated and is not a 3d model. But I don't mean to recreate it exactly like the picture or must be the same way as author. I just want to create the model in the style of these picture.
Generally people recreate 3d model from a picture so I'm not sure why you're saying like it is not possible. Judging from the picture I'm sure this can be a 3d model I mean I can recreate this with ZBrush manually but that is not what I want, I want to try procedural or computer generated appraoch and Houdini seem to be the best into doing this kind of things? I believed Houdini is capable but I just don't know how to, so my question is where should I look for. Or should I change my question is Houdini is capable to doing this?

*I have edited the original post so now this should be clearer
Edited by kittinzaa - Feb. 12, 2022 01:49:19
833 posts
The real question is -- how many years of your life are you willing to invest into learning the intricacies of Houdini, VEX, and VOPs in order to approximate the style of those images?
>>Kays
For my Houdini tutorials and more visit:
https://www.youtube.com/c/RightBrainedTutorials [www.youtube.com]
685 posts
Hey kittinzaa,

you could take a look at the following nodes: lsystem, shortest path, polywire and all the vdb stuff.
With those you can create all kinds of organic, veiny kind of structures.

cheers
CYTE
447 posts
For your reference:

2042 posts
kittinzaa
jsmack
But I don't mean to recreate it exactly like the picture or must be the same way as author. I just want to create the model in the style of these picture.
Generally people recreate 3d model from a picture so I'm not sure why you're saying like it is not possible.

Actually you could model something very close to this in Houdini, but it would be a bit time-comsuming.
I would personally do the modelling in another package like Rhino/Solidworks, in combination with Houdini. (only other 2 3d oriented ones I have worked with, so it's not like others aren't doable - perhaps Blender might be a good one).
  • Quick Links