Preserve UV (or Slip UV, etc) functionality

1873   2   1
141 posts
Hi

I'm looking for a functionality to preserve the UV when I move the components (points, edges, etc.), like in Maya (Preserve UV), modo (Slip UV) or Blender (Correct Face Attributes checkbox).

So for example I have a plane UV Mapped, and I need to move the points, but the texture should stay as it was projected before.
7803 posts
szmatefy
So for example I have a plane UV Mapped, and I need to move the points, but the texture should stay as it was projected before.

they only faculty for that is order of operations. Project uv after moving points to prevent from moving the projection. That doesn't mean you can't add the project first when building the scene, it just means you have to perform the edit earlier in the chain. Alternatively, the uvproject node could be duplicated or moved and wired after the edit.

For tools like maya to allow what you describe, they can't actually be creating a uv attribute. They must be storing a matrix and projecting live as the last step before display/render. You could also do this in Houdini, but I don't think there's any tools for creating a matrix in this way and applying it later. (match size and transform sops can store a matrix, but they aren't setup for creating a projection the way the uv project node is)
141 posts
What I came up with is that I created a transfer attribute at the end of the chain, first input getting the modified model while second is getting the unmodified as the source. So far, so good.

The idea is simple, all I wanted is to modify the base mesh based upon the texture I apply on it. Game development related.

Thank you for the answer!
  • Quick Links