Particles behavious

1249   5   1
10 posts
Hey there!

I am trying a tutorial using particles to form an object and I am having an issue when visualising the particles as spheres (using the sprite node). I have attached a link to a Youtube video I have uploaded with showing the issue and the houdini file. The problem is that once the particles have formed the object they are still moving and create an unwanted "flickering" effect. If someone could help me to diagnose this issue I would appretiate it very much!! Thanks for your time!!

Cheers,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjOj7ZUFaEw [www.youtube.com]
Edited by Manarias - March 9, 2022 21:06:29

Attachments:
particlesex.hiplc (966.8 KB)

2537 posts
Try turning off the popwind, or animating the amplitude of the noise down to zero as the particles settle into their goal position.
Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Windows 11 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
10 posts
Enivob
Try turning off the popwind, or animating the amplitude of the noise down to zero as the particles settle into their goal position.
Hey Enivob,

Removing popwind reduces this effect but it still happens. But I think I can work with that. Thanks!!
8567 posts
Manarias
very unfortunate filename

the flickering is happening because you are visualizing particles as sprites, which are just 2d cards always oriented towards camera
so if the particles or camera are moving, there is always a chance that one card will get in front of another and therefore you'll see it as flickering

maybe copy real spheres on them to visualize it that way
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
10 posts
tamte
Manarias
very unfortunate filename

the flickering is happening because you are visualizing particles as sprites, which are just 2d cards always oriented towards camera
so if the particles or camera are moving, there is always a chance that one card will get in front of another and therefore you'll see it as flickering

maybe copy real spheres on them to visualize it that way
Thank you very much!!! I only realised now about the name of the file hahah
27 posts
Manarias, from my experience what I see other people doing in this case is to just frozen time ("timeshift" node with fixed frame?), or just replace the geo entirely once you reach that point in time, using a static version that looks just like you want it.

I see this as a powerful workflow that the pros use to quickly achieve control of the situation, beginners like me sometimes spend too much time focusing on things that do not translate to real value in the end result.

Lately I'm forcing my mindset like this: perfect is the enemy of good, and Houdini is a incredible software that we could spend ages exploring. There will always be another way, and probably a better way to do the same thing, but if the rendered result already invokes the kind of emotion I need that's done, I shall ship those pixels!
Houdini Indie / Windows
"Art exists so that reality does not destroy us" - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Quick Links