KineFx IK joint stiffness

1197   6   2
96 posts
Is there a way to alter the stiffness of ik joints so that the movement is delegated to certain joints of the IK chain, while others remain stiffer. Is there an attribute for this purpose? Especially for IK chains which a longer than a regular leg.

Cheers
Tom
Staff
733 posts
For the physical full body IK solver, you can use the Configure Joints SOP to set the rotation weights for each axis of a joint. A larger weight relative to other joints means that the solver will use that joint (axis) more to achieve the solution
96 posts
Thanks for the tip!

Currently try it, but so far without success. My IK chain is made up out of 6 joints. Right now I have the impression that the KineFX IK solver puts all the deformation in the UP joint. All other joints seems to be stiff. Is there something wrong with my set up or is the solver not able to distribute the rotation along all joints?

Cheers
Tom
Staff
733 posts
The solver should be able to distribute the rotation along all joints, so an example file would be helpful to look at
96 posts
Here is my example file. Solve only takes place in the up joint.

Attachments:
ik_solve.hiplc (246.0 KB)

Staff
733 posts
I think we were talking about different SOPs - I was referring to the Full Body IK SOP, not the IK Chains SOP. From the IK Chains SOP helpcard, "This SOP allows you to quickly setup two-bone IK chains", so that is not the solver to use if you want a longer chain where each joint can be adjusted individually by the solver
96 posts
Thanks for the clarification. Any chance to add multi joint support for the regular ik chain solver? Would make things probably easier.

Thanks very much for your help!
  • Quick Links