Gaea Labs toolset error

12079   32   5
14 posts
Hi all,
cannot for the life of me figure out how to get the gaea node working. Can get parameters up if xml is generated but get an unhandled exception error everytime. Tried using legacy node types and still no joy. Have all correct licenses and tried on two separate machines and the same. Latest labs toolset installed and latest houdini production build 19.0531. Also Gaea is up to date. Please Help Me!!
cheers, Matt

Attachments:
Screenshot gaea houdini.png (826.3 KB)

10 posts
I'm also running into this issue. It's really strange. If you check the python script from the Tor Processor Sop, you can find the command that gets run to start up the Gaea build process. The problem is that the command that is supposed to run works perfectly if you run it by hand in command prompt, but if you try to let the sop run it, it fails. It fails to generate the automation xml file, and even if you run the batch command to generate it yourself, it then fails to properly start the gaea build process.

If anyone wants a quick fix, I managed to do a couple of hacks to the Tor Processor Sop. It works for me (although I haven't tested it in PDG). I'm attaching the .hdalc. All you have to do is to import the asset and use it in place of the original processor.

If you want to convert it to a .hda(from .hdalc) all you have to do is copy the script section from the node type properties. Everything else in the asset is unchanged from the original tor processor file.

I'm using Houdini Indie 19.0.589 and Gaea Professional 1.3.0.13.

Here's an example of it working (also works with masks).
If you get issues with the height map coming back remapped to a smaller range of height values from gaea, just go into the gaea build tab (build manager) and set the output to Raw. After that save the .tor file again.

Edited by Bleeck - May 9, 2022 05:02:44

Attachments:
houdini_pgm6eqV8Mv.jpg (841.0 KB)
houdini_OYyqP4HaDW.jpg (808.1 KB)
dicam.gaea_tor_processor_fix.4.0.hdalc (59.3 KB)

10 posts
The previous hdalc didn't correctly work with color maps. This new one should also transfer the color maps. This hack isn't so seamless as it forces you to respect a naming convention for it to work.

Basically you have to name your color map with the same name you used in Gaea, and you have to not use any double underscores in the name. So no "__". You can use one underscore, but two consecutive underscores will break things. EG: Base_color_out is OK, Base__color_out is not.

I'm uploading the new hdalc here. I'm leaving the old one in the previous reply, in case maybe I broke something

Here it is working with colors.
Edited by Bleeck - May 11, 2022 11:23:13

Attachments:
houdini_ZAcPHNrUK9.jpg (10.3 KB)
Gaea_Fr2l8GYHwJ.jpg (4.5 KB)
dicam.gaea_tor_processor_fix.4.0.hdalc (59.4 KB)
houdini_XblrcRazC7.jpg (776.3 KB)

11 posts
Hi, sir can you please create a video on that like how did you export/link your textures in Houdini there is no tutorial available for that :/. I tried everything but seems like no luck for that.
10 posts
The guys at QuadSpinner (Gaea) have been really helpful. They helped me with getting this texture issue to work. But they also said they're actively discussing with the guys at SideFx Labs to get this issue fixed properly. So if the above fixes don't work for you, then wait for an official release, it should be right around the corner.

Please note that the fixes that I made are in no way endorsed by QuadSpinner. They were just kind enough to guide me in correctly formulating some batch commands for Gaea and I just felt like sharing. Use at your own peril
Edited by Bleeck - May 22, 2022 09:04:38
11 posts
Hi, thanks for your response, yeah I also had a discussion with them they are saying they going to fix it in the upcoming version, unfortunately, I don't know when they going to release that version. For the time being, can you show us how you did it because the things you have mentioned in the above post are a little technical (I still don't know how to implement them)? Try to search it on YouTube you will not find anything related to it :/. Please help me with it looking forward to it sir .

please sir make a video on that
Edited by Threye21 - May 22, 2022 09:47:43
37 posts
Hi all, I wanted to bump this thread. I am on the latest Gaea 1.3.1.5 and Houdini 19.5.303. The errors in the connection between the two tools seem to persist. No XML file is generated and even if I manually generate one, the build process still fails to start.

Is there any update or additional info on the issue? Any info appreciated!

Pete
37 posts
Well, for anyone else who finds this topic here is the latest I have as of 8/8/22.

SideFX support is aware of the issue. Whatever work they might need to do is gated by an updated need from the Quadspinner/Gaea dev.

Gaea support is also aware of the issue. They are working on it but so far cannot provide an ETA.

Fingers crossed it gets resolved relatively quickly.
42 posts
Just found this thread and came to say I've just tried @Bleecks hda and it worked great for me, with latest Gaea 3.1 and Houdini 0.589. Fantastic job mate! You really saved me some headaches

Edit - trying it in PDG and not getting the same result (had it working with old version 1.2) - we're not quite there yet I suppose

Edit Edit - Saving a debug HIP file out from that PDG node, & when I load it it fires off the Gaea build and it works! So that's quite a mystery...
Edited by Aten - Sept. 4, 2022 17:23:07
42 posts
So the 'hack' version of the node seems to run ok. I'm not sure the inner workings but it creates a 'render' and a 'read' r32 file. However when running it in PDG it only generates the 'render' file. Not sure what's going on but that might be a clue...

Attachments:
01.JPG (64.3 KB)

3 posts
If it helps SideFX, these are the outputs I get when I try to cook the changes in Houdini.

For context, I can successfully export my XML file using powershell and Houdini reads the exposed node properties.

Error Output upon attempting to cook.

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "labs::Sop/gaea_tor_processor::4.0/execute", line 1, in <module>
File "labs::Sop/gaea_tor_processor::4.0, PythonModule", line 59, in ProcessTor
File "C:\PROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.303/houdini/python3.9libs\hou.py", line 16858, in cook
return _hou.Node_cook(self, *args, **kwargs)
hou.OperationFailed: The attempted operation failed.
Error while cooking.

So, my python is rustier than salad-fingers spoons but what I can see from that, lines 1 and 59 are failing. There doesn't seem to be much of anything on those lines, where line 1 is importing the XML Element Tree and line 59 calls for something else... perhaps a callback script that is issue ridden.

I don't know what line 16858 is.
37 posts
latest update as of 9/6/22. Gaea 1.3.1.7 has been released and the devs indicate that some fixes have gone into the xml generation. This may be part of the fix needed for the bridge.

Hopefully someone in SFX can check to see if this helps unblock whatever work needs to ding and might get the bridge back to an operational state or at least clarify if any additional issues persist?
3 posts
I've destroyed the Gaea sop with testing, is there an easy way to revert back to normal? Or is installing Houdini about the only way to do it?
42 posts
Reported this btw

'Side Effects Support Ticket: #126941

Hello Aten,
My apologies, I do not have an ETA for this fix.
I have added you to bug (ID# 123387) in our database, so that I can inform you as soo as we do have a fix.'
25 posts
The "hack" works nicely, thanks!

Looks like for 19.5 (py3.9) you need to change line 27 of gaea_tor_processor/EXPORT to
a.frombytes(volume.allVoxelsAsString())
as array.fromstring() has been deprecated in python 3.9
Edited by Eetu_Mainframe - Sept. 13, 2022 05:50:20
42 posts
Just wanna note that it still fails when running it in HDA processor in a TOPNET.
1 posts
Something strange happened to me... I was able to fix the XML problem but when I pressed the "Cook" button, it showed it was doing something but nothing happened and there was no error. I did try changing the cache folder and all that, but nothing changed.
Staff
99 posts
Sorry for the delay in fixing this issue fellas. The fix is going to be in tomorrow's Labs daily build 19.5.416.

Both Bleeck's and Eetu_Mainframe's suggestions are incorporated. Thank you both very much.

Please let me know if there are more issues. I still need to look at the PDG side of things, but the base Gaea TOR Processor SOP 4.0 should work with Gaea 1.3 now.
Mai Ao
Senior Technical Lead of SideFX Labs
youtube.com/@notverydarkmagic
255 posts
Gello guys! Glad to see some people trying to use the potential of Gaea inside Houdini , the Sidefx support. I have in mind to fully integrate it in in our massive open world project and will be glad to contribute if i discover on my side some unusual suspect behaviour

Mai, i can't quarantee you might not have to do another bugfix iteration
Now i will for sure need PDG support or i will have to forget it...

Please keep us informed ! Cheers
Edited by vinyvince - Nov. 2, 2022 17:16:55
Vincent Thomas   (VFX and Art since 1998)
Senior Env and Lighting  artist & Houdini generalist & Creative Concepts
http://fr.linkedin.com/in/vincentthomas [fr.linkedin.com]
4 posts
The new version of gaea_tor_processor already cooks properly, but the scaling of the heights does not match. Hopefully this will be fixed
Compared to the previous and 1.21 versions. Has the height matching algorithm changed in gaea 1.319?
麦奥
Sorry for the delay in fixing this issue fellas. The fix is going to be in tomorrow's Labs daily build 19.5.416.

Both Bleeck's and Eetu_Mainframe's suggestions are incorporated. Thank you both very much.

Please let me know if there are more issues. I still need to look at the PDG side of things, but the base Gaea TOR Processor SOP 4.0 should work with Gaea 1.3 now.

Attachments:
Gaea_HeightSclae_Error.zip (1.2 MB)
Gaea_HeightScale_Error.png (417.0 KB)

• Quick Links